Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

France Musique - Four Extra Web Channels

I have just noticed that France Musique now has four extra web channels, called Classique Easy, Classique Plus, Concerts, and Contemporaine, all streaming at an acceptable 192kbps, rather than the very rough 128kbps of the main channel, (which is broadcast in other ways, including satellite at 256kbps).

I am not able to find out if the 'Concerts' stream is of recent concerts broadcast on the main channel, or whether it is something entirely different. Perhaps someone with a better knowledge of French could help?

Originally posted by Beresford View Post
    I have just noticed that France Musique now has four extra web channels, called Classique Easy, Classique Plus, Concerts, and Contemporaine, all streaming at an acceptable 192kbps, rather than the very rough 128kbps of the main channel, (which is broadcast in other ways, including satellite at 256kbps).

I am not able to find out if the 'Concerts' stream is of recent concerts broadcast on the main channel, or whether it is something entirely different. Perhaps someone with a better knowledge of French could help?
    It's a right old mix. If you take a look at https://www.francemusique.fr/program...ees/concert-rf you will see each 'track' listed.

When you pick a channel from https://www.francemusique.fr/ ,just click on "Toute les oeuvres" for information on forthcoming track on that stream. However, the current track at 18:16 is wrongly labelled. It's actually an item by Nancarrow, Study 6 arranged for 2 pianos. The identifying text seems to be on track behind what's actually playing.
    Last edited by Bryn; 18-11-17, 19:19.

Comment

Thanks, Bryn. Looks like it is a 'mixtape' of music from CD's, all involving a French national orchestra. Pity they don't use some of their own concerts.
      The other channels also have 'played lists', I guess so that you can find out what you heard, if you have been listening, but you can't 'listen again'.

Comment

The <Concerts Radio France> are, as the name suggests, archive recordings of broadcasts from Radio France orchestras, not necessarily recent. The dates and recording locations are given. Does this explain? The other streams are all taken from commercial recordings. I have not noticed these before: I habitually listen only to France Musique as broadcast on FM, occasionally by the réécouter method. (Currently an organ recital - not usual R3 Saturday night offering).

Comment

Useful finds Beresford many thanks - added the concert stream to my favorits. Thanks for information on stream bit rates also as this lead me to the discovery that my stream which I had labeled as the standard fm stream was in fact the easy stream...

Comment

I have just noticed that France Musique now has four extra web channels, called Classique Easy, Classique Plus, Concerts, and Contemporaine, all streaming at an acceptable 192kbps....

Thanks for this, very useful to know. They are also now on the pre-set classical internet radio page of iTunes (which enables me to put them through the main HiFi from the laptop):

Perfectly acceptable sound.

Interesting definition of 'Easy' - that channel currently appears to be broadcasting a full performance of Das Lied von der Erde ! (*correction: while typing the next paragraph, movements 3 & 4 of Das Lied have given way to Pachelbel's Canon But then some intriguing Alkan. Interesting selection. Sort of what R3 breakfast could be like without the idiotic chatter)

As to the 'Concerts' stream, all the France Musique webpage says is that it is "Les grandes pages du répertoire des concertos et de la musique symphonique choisies dans les concerts des formations de Radio France" - highlights from symphonic and concerto repertoire selected from concerts by Radio France ensembles. A spot-check on the repertoire page didn't turn up any from before the current decade - and also showed that the schedule is filled out from commercial recordings as well e.g. Thibaudet's Ravel set for Decca...
            Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 19-11-17, 12:12.
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I was listening to Easy Classique early in the car this morning - the problem is that none of the pieces are identified by an announcer, one work just goes into another.

Comment

"Classique Easy" on France Musique has become "Classique Love".

Don't know if this makes the music harder, or lovelier!!
                (And why in English, not Facile or L'Amour?)

Comment

"Classique Easy" on France Musique has become "Classique Love".

Don't know if this makes the music harder, or lovelier!!
                  (And why in English, not Facile or L'Amour?)
                  Because for some bizarre reason, English words, no matter how haphazardly they are used, are considered 'branché' in French. It drives me crazy!

Comment

France Musique Baroque seems to have been recently added as a fifth internet radio channel - I haven't found the web address yet for the direct stream.

Live-tv-radio.com has them down as 192kbps, but my software (foobar) says 128kbps.

Comment

France Musique Baroque seems to have been recently added as a fifth internet radio channel - I haven't found the web address yet for the direct stream.

Live-tv-radio.com has them down as 192kbps, but my software (foobar) says 128kbps.
                      Thanks for that. I added a preset on my tuner where I already had some of their other channels saved. Comes up as 128kbps but good clear stereo. When searching for it I noticed they also do a Musique de Films channel. Their range on offer really makes the BBC look very paltry. A pity that they don't scroll details of the item playing. You have to go to the website for that.

Comment

Écoutez les meilleurs podcasts, nos playlists musicales et suivez l'actualité des concerts et festivals de musique baroque instrumentale et vocale.

"...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Many thanks for the link. I have just grabbed the video of the Bartok Divertimento. The audio is at 160kbps AAC-LC, i.e. half the data rate of Radio 3 in HD Sound but a step up from YouTube's 128kbps AAC-LC.

Now trying the Pichon Mass in B minor. The result should be ready in about an hour.

Download, using Video Downloadhelper, completed. As with the Bartok, the audio is 160kbps AAC_LC, whereas, if you opt for the audio-only mp3, you get just 128kbps and, of course, mp3, which is lower fidelity than AAC-LC. So, if you want higher fidelity audio, opt for the video option. Crazy but true.
                          Last edited by Bryn; 13-08-20, 22:12. Reason: Update.

Comment

Direct stream is here:

If anybody would like any others I think I have found them on the station page (right click on the player and then view page source). They are a slight pain to get as they are all bundled together. Happy to retrieve the rest if there is interest.

Thanks of course to Beresford for the finding of the station. I am partial to some baroque.

Edit found a higher bit rate stream: https://icecast.radiofrance.fr/franc...id=radiofrance

Reporting as 192kbps aac on Tapin Radio
                            Last edited by cmr_for3; 15-08-20, 14:08.

Comment

Working...
                            X