Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet radio receivers

Up to now, I've dabbled in internet radio via my PC (and been impressed with many of the classical stations - even if I couldn't understand the announcements!) I've now reached a point (mainly due to my disgust at the current state of R3) where I'm considering buying a dedicated internet radio receiver. However, the available choices seem to be somewhat baffling, and after a lot of searching on the web, I've still not come to a decision. I'm wondering if anyone on here has any recommendations.

Ideally, what I'd like is a micro hi-fi system with separate speakers, and apart from the internet radio functionality, I'm looking for the ability to play from CDs, USB sticks and bluetooth connections. One concern which I have is that several of the systems which I've seen apparently only access internet radio via web sites which have set up as databases for internet radio sites (vTuner and TuneIn) - this means having an account on the database website (and thus being subject to whatever T&Cs and data-sharing agreements the sites impose), being limited to the internet radio sites which have been registered to the database site, and obviously the risk that if the site goes to the wall, the receiver may become useless from the point of internet radio reception. Rather than being subject to these limitations, I just want to be able to access any internet radio site which is broadcasting.

So far, I've found two units which seem to offer most of what I want - the Pioneer CRXN470D (although it doesn't come with speakers), and the auna ir190 (although this has built-in, non-removable speakers.)

Any thoughts?

Can't help you Peterthekeys, but I will follow this thread with keen interest because I'm not enjoying internet radio through my laptop, iPad and iPhone, so I want to get a dedicated device, if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
      Can't help you Peterthekeys, but I will follow this thread with keen interest because I'm not enjoying internet radio through my laptop, iPad and iPhone, so I want to get a dedicated device, if possible.

Comment

Pure Evoke series.

Comment

I mentioned a new Hama digital tuner a year ago on another thread. Still very happy with it on a daily basis. Now on Amazon UK

Comment

I access Internet Radio through both Blusound and Apple TV. Blusound I know uses Tune In but no special permission or subscription is required. Not sure if Apple TV uses Tune In but aside from having to sign the Apple waivers there is no special entry point either.

Comment

A couple of questions, so that I can give you a better answer...

1) Will this be used as your main radio listening device? (i.e. in your living room)
              2) Have you already got an amp and/or speakers you wish to use?

Comment

Originally posted by cmr_for3 View Post
                A couple of questions, so that I can give you a better answer...

1) Will this be used as your main radio listening device? (i.e. in your living room)
                2) Have you already got an amp and/or speakers you wish to use?
                Speaking for myself, it will be my main device. I have more amps and speakers than Richer Sounds. So yes and yes are my answers to your questions.

Comment

Originally posted by peterthekeys View Post
                  Up to now, I've dabbled in internet radio via my PC (and been impressed with many of the classical stations - even if I couldn't understand the announcements!) I've now reached a point (mainly due to my disgust at the current state of R3) where I'm considering buying a dedicated internet radio receiver. However, the available choices seem to be somewhat baffling, and after a lot of searching on the web, I've still not come to a decision. I'm wondering if anyone on here has any recommendations.

Ideally, what I'd like is a micro hi-fi system with separate speakers, and apart from the internet radio functionality, I'm looking for the ability to play from CDs, USB sticks and bluetooth connections. One concern which I have is that several of the systems which I've seen apparently only access internet radio via web sites which have set up as databases for internet radio sites (vTuner and TuneIn) - this means having an account on the database website (and thus being subject to whatever T&Cs and data-sharing agreements the sites impose), being limited to the internet radio sites which have been registered to the database site, and obviously the risk that if the site goes to the wall, the receiver may become useless from the point of internet radio reception. Rather than being subject to these limitations, I just want to be able to access any internet radio site which is broadcasting.

So far, I've found two units which seem to offer most of what I want - the Pioneer CRXN470D (although it doesn't come with speakers), and the auna ir190 (although this has built-in, non-removable speakers.)

Any thoughts?
                  I am also very interested in this thread, partly as my existing Hi-Fi setup is around 20 years old now, and the FM Tuner cannot compete with the latest digital broadcasts over the internet. So I also find myself playing music through my desktop PC which has an external sound card.

I saw an advert last week for the Pioneer VSX 932, which seems priced competitively, and although I have no direct knowledge of it, it does seem to get good reviews. Currently on offer at Richer Sounds. The features look pretty good too, and as I have about 500 gb of music on an external hard disk, in Flac format, the fact that you can also connect that through a USB port seems a big plus.

Incidentally I hadn't heard of the CRXN470D, but when I googled it, it came up with a Yahama unit! About £100 less than the VSX 932.

Comment

Hi Beef and Chris,

In which case like gurnemanz I can recommend the below.

Comment

Originally posted by cmr_for3 View Post
                      Hi Beef and Chris,

In which case like gurnemanz I can recommend the below.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-DIT201.../dp/B01MTKEGXJ
                      Thanks car_for3

I think I'll get that. I just need to make sure that my active speakers are compatible with it because I've put my amps and passive speakers in the loft and I can't go through the reverse-trauma.

Btw, I can't remember if you said you own this particular piece of kit.

Comment

Thanks car_for3

I think I'll get that. I just need to make sure that my active speakers are compatible with it because I've put my amps and passive speakers in the loft and I can't go through the reverse-trauma.

Btw, I can't remember if you said you own this particular piece of kit.
                        How the hell do you hear anything if your speakers are in the loft? Or do you go there to listen ?

EDit: the amazon blurb says it is Hi Fi at a new level, so the loft may be just the place........
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          How the hell do you hear anything if your speakers are in the loft? Or do you go there to listen ?

EDit: the amazon blurb says it is Hi Fi at a new level, so the loft may be just the place........
                          Active speakers are not in the loft. They are in my living room. I think you know that. Don't be obtuse just because your team has dived.

Comment

Active speakers are not in the loft. They are in my living room. I think you know that. Don't be obtuse just because your team has dived.
                            Oh we're enjoying the thrill of the challenge. Anyway I have 352 more HvK discs to get through, so I cant be loafing around here trying to help you figure out which part of the house you left your various speakers in.

Is a living room the same as a lounge?
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              Oh we're enjoying the thrill of the challenge. Anyway I have 352 more HvK discs to get through, so I cant be loafing around here trying to help you figure out which part of the house you left your various speakers in.

Is a living room the same as a lounge?

Funny descrition , Living Room.........
                              For future reference, sitting room or drawing room are U. Lounge, living room or front room are Non-U. Take your pick, according to how you see yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X