Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alternative evening listening...

After 22:00 can be a bit hit and miss for me on R3. Any alternatives recommended?

Originally posted by cmr_for3 View Post
    After 22:00 can be a bit hit and miss for me on R3. Any alternatives recommended?
    Bed and sleep?

Comment

Originally posted by cmr_for3 View Post
      Pretty good selection of internet stations suggested on this very board:

Alternatively, the catch-up programmes on Radio 3, such as the previous night's Through The Night.

Me, I just read a book …
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Newsnight and the BBC News24/Sky News Press Previews.... gloomy these days yes, very - but essential...

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Bed and sleep?
          well played...

Comment

I used to read a lot in bed when I could lie on my front. Circumstances changing means I can't now. Not tried reading on my back in ages. Will give it a go this evening. Thanks for the thread, I had thought about looking there. Through the night is also a good suggestion but I wanted to avoid leaving the phone on. Thanks for the ideas.

Comment

... usually bed and sleep here too.

If sleep elusive, I sometimes revert to listening to the BBC World Service.

Comment

Audio books? Took out an Amazon Audible subscription earlier this year. Not sure I would recommend AA in particular, but if the title is otherwise hard to find or expensive it can be worth it. I got Peter H Wilson’s ‘Heart of Europe’ (history of the Holy Roman Empire). Best cure for insomnia ever …

PHW interviewed by Rana Mitter on R3 Free Thinking, March 2016, btw. Recommended. It's an important work.

Rana Mitter discusses a new book on the Holy Roman Empire and debates Christianity today.
                And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

Thanks for suggestion. I'd not thought about Audible specifically. If i want an audio book I have been to known to go to my library and ahem, (I think the term is archive) any discs I might want. I did this with Carol Drinkwater's the Olive Series (might seem strange but I love her voice!) But then I find I lose my place. AA my stop this...

Comment

I am giving classic fm a try at the moment as thought the movie classics program on radio 3 a bit classic fm like...
                    Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

I always listen to a CD of solo piano music in the evening, followed by an hour with a good book before bed. I think the solo piano repertoire is ideally suited to the solitary listener, as I discovered many years ago when my father handed me a copy of C 3101 : Chopin's first Ballade played by Benno Moiseiwitsch.

Comment

Working...
                      X