Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Quality of Radio 3 Stream.

After my complaints earlier in the week, about the 64 bps sound that we colonials are relegated to for Radio 3, a couple of forumites sent me a link to the M4 stream of the Oluffson and Jarvi concert. I am listening to it now by clicking the link on the iPad and sending it via AirPlay to my AppleTV in a Home Theater system. My expectations were low regarding sound quality, but I am pleasantly surprised. This is my first experience with MPEG4 and even given the limitations of AirPlay and AppleTV, it really sounds very vivid. It isn’t until the announcer speaks and spits the sibilants that I find something to complain about.
    Speaking of complaints, I’m listening to the Bach Concerto now, and I really don’t understand the invective that some hurled at this performance

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    After my complaints earlier in the week, about the 64 bps sound that we colonials are relegated to for Radio 3, a couple of forumites sent me a link to the M4 stream of the Oluffson and Jarvi concert.
    64 bps is really low - I think there's a 'k' missing. That might even be below military grade compression - used for very low bandwidth communications.

Do you not normally get higher rates in the USA - say at least 128 kbps?

Comment

No, that’s the point. Usually I find Radio 3 difficult to listen to.

Comment

Ok. I really need some help from Forumites. I bought a Cambridge Audio CXN2 streamer, mainly for its Internet Radio claims. also to have an AirPlay device in my 2 channel system. The dealer, a large Internet Retailer based in Grand Rapids, Michigan, claims the Unit supports MPEG4. Fired up the BBC, and very disappointed that the program is in 128 kbps. Called the dealer who is clueless about the BBC and may not even be aware that a country called the United Kingdom exists.
        Question-Does Radio 3 broadcast primarily at 128kbps? I know I’ve seen Proms content that was higher. I figured the Forumites would be the best resource to ask.
        I have a 30 day return policy, and so far this is probably going back to Grand Rapids

Comment

Ok. I really need some help from Forumites. I bought a Cambridge Audio CXN2 streamer, mainly for its Internet Radio claims. also to have an AirPlay device in my 2 channel system. The dealer, a large Internet Retailer based in Grand Rapids, Michigan, claims the Unit supports MPEG4. Fired up the BBC, and very disappointed that the program is in 128 kbps. Called the dealer who is clueless about the BBC and may not even be aware that a country called the United Kingdom exists.
          Question-Does Radio 3 broadcast primarily at 128kbps? I know I’ve seen Proms content that was higher. I figured the Forumites would be the best resource to ask.
          I have a 30 day return policy, and so far this is probably going back to Grand Rapids
          Bryn is the real expert but I’m pretty sure R3 is 320 kps in the UK - but in the States there might be some sort of weird choke I don’t know about that affects non UK territories. Incidentally you are not supposed to be able to listen to R3 in the States or watch the iPlayer or Sounds - none of the performances are rights cleared for there (unless R3 has some deal I haven’t heard about in which case I’m wrong..)

Here’s chapter and verse from Sounds website :-

Why can't I listen to certain programmes outside the UK?

For rights reasons, we might not be able to make certain content available outside of the UK. For example:

certain sports coverage
          some music content (particularly classical music or live concerts)
          When we restrict a live radio stream outside the UK, you’ll hear “This content is unavailable due to technical or rights reasons.” If an on-demand programme is restricted, you'll see a "Sorry, this content can only be played in the UK" message on the app and a “Not available” message on the website.

If you're in the UK but you're seeing or hearing a message telling you that certain content isn't available, check our Why do you think I'm outside the UK? page for more advice.

Comment

As far as I know, the standard audio data rate for BBC television in HD is indeed just 128kbps 48kHz AAC-LC. That's what I get here in the UK. anyway. Basically, no real improvement on the 192 kbps and 256kbps mp2 used for standard-definition digital television here. As Heldenleben says, Radio 3 offers much higher audio quality at 320kbps AAC-LC. Why BBC television does not sacrifice a meagre couple of hundred kbps of their massive video data rate to improve the audio, is a mystery to me.

Comment

I should just add that the data rate for aac are average rates since aac uses a variable data rate depending on the immediate content demand.

Comment

Re getting the higher data rate for Radio 3, you would need to use a decent proxy server set to the UK to get it. Without such, I doubt you could get more than 128kbps.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Why BBC television does not sacrifice a meagre couple of hundred kbps of their massive video data rate to improve the audio, is a mystery to me.
                  Possibly several "reasons".

1. Can't be bothered.
                  2. Managers and others don't understand.
                  3. Don't think better sound has any "commercial" value.
                  4. A belief that many who watch and listen don't care.
                  5. Those working in the BBC or subsidiaries would not perceive any obvious benefit to themselves - better pay, reward for innovation, promotion ....
                  5. A concern that better sound quality in the transmission chain would show up other problems

Add your own .....

Comment

Many Internet Radios can receive the R3 320k radio stream. Some have a digital output that you could feed into a DAC.
                    I now have an Internet Radio that uses the Frontier Silicon portal, and it can access the R3 (only) HD stream. I guess it is available outside UK, but maybe not.
                    Last edited by Beresford; 01-09-21, 11:37. Reason: UNDOK uses location

Comment

I guess you found this?
                      If you find that you’re spending more time at home in the coming weeks than perhaps you would have done in the past, you’ll be relying on your home entertainment more heavily than ever.

Not much detail but maybe check support & message Cambridge via Contact & see what happens...?

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                        I guess you found this?
                        If you find that you’re spending more time at home in the coming weeks than perhaps you would have done in the past, you’ll be relying on your home entertainment more heavily than ever.

Not much detail but maybe check support & message Cambridge via Contact & see what happens...?
                        No, I didn't see that, thanks. I knew about BLuetooth and AirPlay, but I didn't realize that for the other features I might need to use Chromecast. I will mess around with it when I get home from work.
                        btw, I've never been a strong believer of the "break in phenomenon, but the Cambridge was definitely sounding better this AM, especially in the treble, where yesterday it seemed muddy and flat

this was the link with the original information abut the higher codec
                        Last edited by richardfinegold; 01-09-21, 20:05.

Comment

Update. It took me a couple of evenings to figure out the Chromecast, primarily because I was using the wrong app. I was using an app called "Cambridge Connect" which is the one that UK reviewers use with the streamer, but a gent on an Audiophile forum told me to use the "Stream Magic" app. This app allows easy Chrome integration and also Qobuz. I also was using a cheap pair of RCA connects while awaiting the delivery of a better pair, which made a difference if for no other reason that the cheaper pair was losing the signal in 1 channel due to a loose connection.
                          Now when listening to a program, or a Qobuz recording, I simply click the Google Chrome icon, and after a 10 second gap there is music. I listened to the JEG Prom in what was close to CD quality sound, as well as a few Qobuz recordings, using my Android phone. Interestingly, the iPad doesn't seem to offer a Chrome icon, offering an AirPlay icon that is near identical. The C.A. streamer switches seamlessly between Chrome and AirPlay, although the Chrome version sounds better.

If I had to rank these wireless codecs by sound quality, it would be 1) Chrome 2)Air Play. 3) aptX Bluetooth. I am wondering if Apple's new expensive wireless headphones offer AirPlay only, and if there are any Chrome headphones out there. All 3 of these technologies can sound fairly decent, which Chrome approaching what a wired connection can do. It is amazing how far digital
                          wireless sound has progressed in the past several years

Comment

Great to hear, Richard.... could you get a bitrate readout via Chrome etc? I guess you have the AAC/MPEG4 now...?

Comment

Update. It took me a couple of evenings to figure out the Chromecast, primarily because I was using the wrong app. I was using an app called "Cambridge Connect" which is the one that UK reviewers use with the streamer, but a gent on an Audiophile forum told me to use the "Stream Magic" app. This app allows easy Chrome integration and also Qobuz. I also was using a cheap pair of RCA connects while awaiting the delivery of a better pair, which made a difference if for no other reason that the cheaper pair was losing the signal in 1 channel due to a loose connection.
                              Now when listening to a program, or a Qobuz recording, I simply click the Google Chrome icon, and after a 10 second gap there is music. I listened to the JEG Prom in what was close to CD quality sound, as well as a few Qobuz recordings, using my Android phone. Interestingly, the iPad doesn't seem to offer a Chrome icon, offering an AirPlay icon that is near identical. The C.A. streamer switches seamlessly between Chrome and AirPlay, although the Chrome version sounds better.

If I had to rank these wireless codecs by sound quality, it would be 1) Chrome 2)Air Play. 3) aptX Bluetooth. I am wondering if Apple's new expensive wireless headphones offer AirPlay only, and if there are any Chrome headphones out there. All 3 of these technologies can sound fairly decent, which Chrome approaching what a wired connection can do. It is amazing how far digital
                              wireless sound has progressed in the past several years
                              I'm short of time so haven't contributed to this thread (while wishing you well from afar). I was interested by your comments about sound quality – I think you can discriminate between Hi-res, lossless and other quality levels. I don’t dwell on it (well not much) – although a bad recording sounds bad despite a high quality bit rate , etc etc

I'm currently use a streaming service (based in Berlin) which I haven't seen mentioned on this forum. It is aimed at Classical Music but hasn't the reach of some services and isn't exactly what I want as to playlists; also gapless output is in development. I found it searching for a stream of the Blomstedt / Leipzig G/ Bruckner Symphonies - I'd missed the boat for the physical CDs at a reasonable price and already have enough Bruckner CDs, really.

To get to the point as to the Chromecast Audio (CA) - early on after launch I read that its capable of bit perfect, lossless output, via the optical plug in the shape of a 3.5mm jack at the CA end. I’m clear in my recollection that Google have said that it (and gapless) depends on implementation in the app in question.

My speakers use mostly optical inputs and incorporate a DAC, so all I need is the CA, suspended off the plate on the back of the master speaker. I subscribed to FLAC streaming and enquired whether the CA – which they have a support article on - would deliver FLAC lossless into my system and they confirmed it does.

It sounds very good, both through my main system, my home office, and workshop (all using the DAC in the speaker principle). The CA, as I’m sure you know, has the advantage of getting the data stream from the house wifi it doesn’t drain your device battery as would Bluetooth.
                              Glad you’ve found a solution and are pleased with the sound.

Comment

Working...
                              X