Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wqxr

WQXR is a wonderful station that plays classical music with non of the annoying chit-chat you got on BBC radio 3

Yes it certainly is and I’ve sung its praises on here before, am so glad someone else agrees.

Comment

Plus our early morning is their dead of night so even less interruption.

Comment

One long-running treat from WQXR is "Carnegie Hall Live". I recently listened to the relay of the Orchestre de Paris and Klaus Makela, with their Stravinsky concert of The Firebird and The Rite of Spring:

This program of Stravinsky ballets features the Carnegie Hall debut of a rising-star conductor: Klaus Mäkelä, music director of Orchestre de Paris. 

I'd listened to the recent Decca recordings of each ballet with the same orchestra and conductor a while back, and felt quite underwhelmed at the commercial issue (David Allen at the NYT felt the same way, only more strongly). Listening to the WQXR relay, the Orchestre de Paris sounds in very fine form, but I was again underwhelmed with The Firebird. The Rite had more verve by comparison. The audience seemed very enthusiastic, though, so maybe KM is better live than on studio recordings.

Comment

Working...
        X