No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radi4Xtra What we may have missed - appeal for suggestions

Hi All,

Today the announcer on BBC4Xtra asked us listeners to send in email requests for old radio shows that they may have missed when delving into their archive.

The email address is radio4extra@bbc.co.uk

One might also search BBC Genome to firm up ones fading memories. https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/
    I sent in several suggestions first broadcast in the 1970s.
    Fingers crossed.

I could supply a long list of Radio 3 programmes I'd love to hear again, but I don't suppose that's what they want!

Radio 4x has done a splendid job over the years broadcasting old BBC Home Service and Light Programme recordings . I wish we had an equivalent for Radio 3. The broadcasting of archive concerts is sadly a once-in-a-blue-moon affair. I've done better with YouTube.

Comment

Yes Radio3Xtra would be a splendid channel!

but Drama On 3 as brought several treasures through the years.
      Myself, I've requested the Play Wystan from 2000 with Paul Scofield playing WH Auden.

Comment

Forget It, your mention of Paul Scofield prompts me to say that what I’d like to hear again is Andrew Rissik’s trilogy, Troy, originally on R3 in 1998, I think. (Scofield played Hermes). It has been re-broadcast since, but not recently as far as I know. A superb production, IMHO, by Jeremy Mortimer.

Comment

Rissik's Troy is bound to come around again.

In the meantime you might hear them here

Comment

Originally posted by Forget It (U2079353) View Post
            Rissik's Troy is bound to come around again.

In the meantime you might hear them here
            https://fourble.co.uk/podcast/bbcpau...liangloverdebo
            Wow. Thanks for sharing this link Forget it. Very much appreciated. What a treasure trove !

Comment

Forget It - huge thanks from me too for that link. Wonderful!

Comment

The Troy trilogy are exceptional plays with a cast to dream of.

Rissik produced another remarkable trilogy on the broad theme of theme of resurrection, broadcast over Eastertide in 2004. The first Dionysos is an adaptation of the Bacchae, The Art of Love deals with Ovid’s clash and fall at the hands of Augustus, and Resurrection covers the Easter story.

Check out this great listen on Audible.com. A collection of acclaimed radio retellings of Greek and Roman myths Andrew Rissik's powerful, uncompromising reimaginings of classic tales from Roman and Greek history were hailed as masterpieces when they first aired on BBC radio. Told in contemporary s...

Worth revisiting in the coming days.

Comment

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post

Rissik produced another remarkable trilogy on the broad theme of theme of resurrection, broadcast over Eastertide in 2004...
                  Check out this great listen on Audible.com. A collection of acclaimed radio retellings of Greek and Roman myths Andrew Rissik's powerful, uncompromising reimaginings of classic tales from Roman and Greek history were hailed as masterpieces when they first aired on BBC radio. Told in contemporary s...

Worth revisiting in the coming days.
                  Belgrove - many thanks indeed for sharing this. Chimes perfectly with Holy Week...

Comment

Thank you all very much for the links. These are great. Rissick's radio plays are wonderful. I remember once hearing a work called "Dreamstones." I also know that he also wrote scripts for television, including the BBC series "Holby City" and "Doctors."

Comment

Working...
                    X