• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Knackered politicians

Having enjoyed (a) morning tea in bed (b) BAL and (c) a leisurely breakfast, I fall to wondering about the nightmarish stress and fatigue to which politicians have been subjected to over the past 48 hours. OK they're not natural objects of our sympathy, but are days and nights of frenzied activity and complete lack of sleep (not to mention VE day celebrations) really a Good Thing for those who have to make decisions affecting the whole nation? I wonder if any other country packs so much (exit-polls, rapid counts, resigning, visiting palaces, forming coalitions/cabinets, possibly being kicked out of your residence) into so short a space of time? It seems unwise.
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    Having enjoyed (a) morning tea in bed (b) BAL and (c) a leisurely breakfast, I fall to wondering about the nightmarish stress and fatigue to which politicians have been subjected to over the past 48 hours. OK they're not natural objects of our sympathy, but are days and nights of frenzied activity and complete lack of sleep (not to mention VE day celebrations) really a Good Thing for those who have to make decisions affecting the whole nation? I wonder if any other country packs so much (exit-polls, rapid counts, resigning, visiting palaces, forming coalitions/cabinets, possibly being kicked out of your residence) into so short a space of time? It seems unwise.
    We do this because we are efficient and still need to show the rest of the world how to 'do democracy proper' After all, we did invent it and nobody has anything to teach us about it, not even you ardcarp

I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• mangerton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
      .............. democracy proper' After all, we did invent it...........
      The Greeks, shurely? Then we nicked it. (Along with the Elgin marbles.)

Comment

• visualnickmos
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
        Exactly what I thought!

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
          We do this because we are efficient and still need to show the rest of the world how to 'do democracy proper' After all, we did invent it and nobody has anything to teach us about it, not even you ardcarp

Er....seats in the legislature reflecting the votes cast?

Comment

• pastoralguy
            • Nov 2010

I fall to wondering about the nightmarish stress and fatigue to which politicians have been subjected to over the past 48 hours. .
            Don't worry too much. I'm sure their stress and fatigue will 'trickle down' over the next 5 years...

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

VE day celebrations...
              ... I thought there was something rather wonderful in seeing Messrs Cameron, Miliband, and Clegg performing their ceremonial duties at the cenotaph a couple of hours after the unexpected victory of the one and the defeats of the others; straight faced, stiff-upper-lipped - pure theatre.

The French press can't quite believe - but is much impressed by - the fact that our 'losers' immediately resign. Unimaginable in France (Jospin - a good protestant - being the one famous exception.)

Comment

• jean
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

The Greeks, shurely?
                Only if you think women and slaves don't count.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
                  They didn't then. Now is different.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

I'm not talking about now.

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

... well - (and I'm sure Mr Grew wd agree here) - the demos was the mob. Of course I'm sexist - but I rate women higher than the mob - even if the Greeks didn't...

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                        • Apr 2007

All my previous post was meant to be disclaimed by the final

Perhaps I should have said ?
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

I'm not talking about now.
                          My point being that you can't transpose the values from one age and impose them retrospectively on another. Yes, the Greeks invented democracy because women and slaves didn't matter (to them). Women do matter now. And in principle slaves matter (to us), though in principle they shouldn't exist at all. But they do exist, and to their masters they still don't matter. That matters (to us) because now is different. I hope that is rather clearer than it evidently was when I first made my comment.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

But when we say the Greeks invented democracy in the context of what we call democracy, I think it is worth pointing out that the two are hardly the same animal.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

Agreed, Jean. A lot of people who say that the (ancient, or classical) Greeks invented democracy probably forget, or don't even realise, that women, slaves, & others weren't included (I'm not including ff in that group). They need reminding. & of course UK democracy didn't include people who din't own land, women, & others unti quite recently.

Comment

Working...
                              X