At last, a new use for those old cassette tapes....

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At last, a new use for those old cassette tapes....

New Jersey-based artist Amy Corson was cleaning out cupboards when she found some old music cassettes, which sparked a decade-long project creating portraits of her favourite musicians using the magnetic tape. “I picked up a cassette of Bob Dylan’s Blood on the Tracks and pulled out some of the tape. It reminded me of his curly hair, and the rest is history,” she says. Tape can be challenging to work with, but it is also rewarding. “I love the idea of creating something beautiful out of everyday objects. Being able to use something that someone else may think is worthless is an incredible thing,” she says

Skyler King

In monetary terms mine are doubtless worthless, but for me they're treasure. Just been going through all my old Hanns Eisler recordings, culled from various Radio 3 programmes - COTW and so on.

Comment

I suppose most of us have transferred to digital most of the stuff we want to keep. I still play those that probably aren't worth the bother but which I still want to hear. And it's a pleasure to hear again bits you forgot were on them, such as Radio 3 voices from the 1980s: Humphrey Carpenter, Michael Oliver, Patricia Hughes, a bit of an old Lunchtime News . Also, pieces of music I forgot I'd taped and haven't named: 'What is it? Who wrote it? When did I record it?' etc.

Comment

I have likely a couple of hundred or more, likewise off-air R3 in the 80s mainly. I haven't listened to them in decades, but haven't thrown one away....

Comment

My rule is, if you've got room to keep it, keep it. I've often been glad I kept my copy of the Daily Mail Motoring Guide for 1951, when it could easily have been thrown away years ago. M.O-H. said 'we'll just have to get a bigger house', which is what we did, Though not for that reason, the increased space was a bonus

Comment

"Daily Mail Motoring Guide"...

... no left turns permitted!

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
              My rule is, if you've got room to keep it, keep it. I've often been glad I kept my copy of the Daily Mail Motoring Guide for 1951, when it could easily have been thrown away years ago. M.O-H. said 'we'll just have to get a bigger house', which is what we did, Though not for that reason, the increased space was a bonus
              That strategy doesn't always work. Rather than downsizing, which is apparently what most people do, we upsized. Consequence - instead of maybe several thousand LPs [I can't remember] and perhaps 6k CDs the number of CDs has gone up. Further consequence - there are few cupboards left to put things in.

I am a bit sad about some of the cassettes - but most of those went into a skip - though some escaped - but not by design. The ones which are left are not necessarily the ones I would have chosen to keep. My father had built up quite a collection of interesting off air recordings, which unlike me, he had kept notes on and catalogued, and I would have liked to have those still.

Comment

I sympathise. At a moment of change al mezzo camin di nostra vita I gave away aboiut five-sixths of my LP collection in 1984 and, despite having replaced most of them on CD have often regretted the absence of particular ones I didn't., at the time know I'd miss.

Comment

Working...
                X