Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Here, we get greater joy from our magimix...
    Was that a Roman invention? Wise Romans, then.

Comment

There are a few out there called dominatrix, and the dom bit doesnt refer to your Home Sweet Home domicile ... unless of course, you find whips sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
        There are a few out there called dominatrix, and the dom bit doesnt refer to your Home Sweet Home domicile ... unless of course, you find whips sweet.
        Not being particularly well versed in the cathedral choral tradition, when I first joined these boards it did take me a while to work out what the regulars on The Chioir forum were referring to as DoM ...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            Originally posted by mangerton View Post
            The only one I can think of offhand is meretrix (we needn't go into what the woman does) from which of course we get meretricious...
            ... and beatrix, "she who makes happy". Perhaps what men hope for from a meretrix...
            Yes of course, meretrix - a good classical word, unlike beatrix, which didn't come into existence until beo, beatus had the Christian meaning of bless, blessed. So your suggested meaning there probably won't do.

But a woman can't give a blessing, can she? I've read somewhere that it was quite blasphemous for Dante to give his ideal woman the name Beatrice for that reason. He didn't invent the name, though.

As for dominatrix, it is classical, but 'very rare', and the only example I've found that I can understand out of context is Cicero's caeca et temeraria dominatrix animi cupiditas (desire [is] the blind and rash ruler of the spirit).

I didn't think dictatrix existed in classical Latin at all, but it turns out it's a hapax legomenon (q.v.) in Plautus, and therefore a joke.

Last edited by jean; 26-05-15, 21:56.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

You're losing, you're losing, you're losing, you're losing your vitamin C
                Maybe you're losing your vitamin D - or, put another way, you should get out more...

Comment

Working...
                X