X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • son of gamba
    • Jun 2024

Sad news regarding 'gamba'

I'm really sorry to have to let you all know that my father "gamba" passed away peacefully last Tuesday after another spell of illness in hospital. We all keep expecting him to bounce back as he's done so many times before, but sadly this time and at the age of 92 he wasn't able to. In his later years with decreased mobility he took great enjoyment from this board and conversing with so many like minded people who shared his love of music and life.

His great sense of humour and warmth of personality will be remembered by all those who've had the privilege to meet him and I know many of you will have enjoyed some of his many adventures in life that he's posted on here.

His funeral is to be held at Daldowie Crematorium, Broomhouse, Glasgow G71 7RU on Monday 8th June at 11:00, and his wishes were for any donations to Medecins San Frontieres through www.justgiving.com/Alex-A-Pearce.

Warmest regards, Daniel
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Deepest commiserations, Son of Gamba. Your dad was one of the most cheerful, upbeat and purely life-enhancing board-members. He will be much missed
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Daniel - I saw your arrival and choice of pseudonym, so guessed this was the sad news about to arrive.

So sorry for you and all the family - 'gamba' was a valued member of the community: it is very thoughtful of you to let us know. Thank you.

This is one of his photos that was greatly admired and gave much pleasure: the Lewis chessmen.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

This news is terribly sad - gamba was a lovely, gentle soul whose posts often put me in the direction of a repertoire I hadn't been previously aware, and I shall always remember him with great affection and gratitude whenever I hear those works. In particular, he was very fond of the elegant (and eloquent) simplicity of this piece, particularly in this performance:

Tobias Hume, Loves Farewell (Musicall Humors n. 47)Luciana Elizondo, viola da gambaRegistrato a Cremona nella Chiesa di Santa Maria Maddalena© 2013 co'l part...

RIP and many thanks, old friend
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Sad news. They don't make them like him anymore. His 92 years are worth 200 of ours. He'll be sorely missed. I really valued my chats with him.

Comment

• Roehre

My heartfelt condolences, Son of Gamba. He will be much missed.
            Your dad was a life-enhancing board-member indeed.
            We hoped he would be with us for ever.

RIP Gamba

Comment

• doversoul1
              Ex Member
              • Dec 2010

Daniel
              It was indeed a great privilege to have ‘met’ your father on this forum. gamba was such a rare person in so many ways that I cannot put it in words now. It is very sad to know that we’ll see no more gamba’s posts but I am glad to hear that his end was peaceful.

My deepest sympathy.

R.I.P. gamba

Comment

• Padraig
                • Feb 2013

I am very sorry, Daniel, to hear of your father's death. I greatly enjoyed the man behind the Gamba. french frank and ferneyhoughgeliebte have already mentioned two of the highlights of his gifts to us, and I would add his recommendation of the Boccherini String Quartets, op.32 by Quartetto Esterhazy which I have come to love.
                Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam - May his spirit be at the right hand of God.

Comment

• StephenO

Very sad news. My deepest sympathy.

Comment

• johnb
                    • Mar 2007

So sorry to learn of Gamba's death. I can only echo the other message board member's tributes - they have expressed things so well.

You and your family will be in our thoughts.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Very sad news to hear and condolences from me too .Gamba's posts and his humanity and musical intelligence they displayed were always a joy to read .

Comment

• jean
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

He will indeed be missed.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2011

RIP Gamba, so wise, witty and warm...

Comment

• richardfinegold
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
                            Very sad news. My deepest sympathy.
                            My condolances as well.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                              • Nov 2010

I am so sorry. I really enjoyed his wit and wisdom.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Comment

Working...
                              X