X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by PatrickMurtha

I saw the wink, but I still interpreted the post as baiting (and continue to do so). Even over a few days, you read people’s posts and you get a sense of what they’re up to.
    Inevitably we interpret though prisms of misleading stereotypes which we then expect those stereotyped to treat with nonchalance - in Britain alone it's becoming bad enough as it is, as you implied in one of your early posts. You're welcome here, probably because as people who in defending Radio 3 values of old we felt have been undermined by those in charge of the network, and at the same time defending ourselves against charges by advocates of (shorthand term) "cultural populism" of ourselves being "elitist", we see you as a kindred spirit, emboldened with an ironic turn of mind. An American friend of mine - the experimental/avant-garde singer Annette Peacock - once told me that one reason why irony was not a strong personal attribute in most Americans was that "We are still in many ways a young civilisation... it takes a long time for a culture to acquire the sophistication to have an ironic take on itself". Bear with us, if you can! Anyone who voluntarily leaves The Land of The Free in preference for Mexico bears no resemblance either to our take on American materialism nor to our nearest equivalents, probably travelling people with either no sense of roots, or cultural allegiances to places long gone or fast disappearing; namely people whose views on life some might deem "political" by dint of experience with "authority" are out of sync with middle-of-the-road voters, shifting or otherwise. Back in the 1970s "down scaling" became understandably associated with those dropping out, purloining and doing up abandoned properties ("squatting") and acquiring leftist or anarchist principles. We then learned of "survivalists" building self-arming communities based on far-right ideologies in the States, for which we had and have no equivalents - outside old-fashioned anarchism being "against governments" of any hue has only caught on recently over here as a populist trope for consumer choice.

I hope this helps clarity matters a bit!
    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 03-11-23, 18:04. Reason: Bear, not bare!!!!!

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

It does, and thank you! My feathers are pretty ruffled this morning.
      But please don't BARE all, as S_A has potentially invited you to.
      Our moderators might have something to say if you did.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

But please don't BARE all, as S_A has potentially invited you to.
        Our moderators might have something to say if you did.
        !!!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

It does, and thank you! My feathers are pretty ruffled this morning.

If I feel myself at perpetual odds with the prevailing ethos of the forum, well I just don’t know. I’m not going to waste my energy swimming upstream. It’s not worth it.

The situation is so 2023. I couldn’t avoid politics even for a few days. Maybe I wasn’t trying very hard, and anyway the cat’s out of the bag now.

Comment

• PatrickMurtha
            • Nov 2023

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Meaning…? This symbol is not familiar to me.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

Pint of bitter (ale) - as in "Cheers!"

At least this is what I've always assumed. Not quite sure what the significance of ela [] is - perhaps indicative of sinister* ale drinkers?

*As opposed to dexter

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                • Nov 2010

Ale [righthanded]..........elA [lefthanded] ....CHEERS CHEERS
                bong ching

Comment

• PatrickMurtha
                  • Nov 2023

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                  Pint of bitter (ale) - as in "Cheers!"

At least this is what I've always assumed. Not quite sure what the significance of ela [] is - perhaps indicative of sinister* ale drinkers?

*As opposed to dexter
                  Got it!

Comment

Working...
                  X