Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
    What's the name of this wonderful new game? It has to follow Coleslaw...
    That is the name - 'No this is the real explanation': (hereinafter NTITRE, or perhaps NITRE)

If Tapiola is busy, I'm happy to try a W...
    I think there's only one possibility, but go ahead - prove me wrong
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

It seems I missed some interesting cut and thrust last night!

Looking forward to your W, AuntDaisy...

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
        It seems I missed some interesting cut and thrust last night!
        Looking forward to your W, AuntDaisy...
        Thanks Tapiola.

Unrelated to Michael (who is far less enchanting), this W dramatically interrupted Mrs. Euterpe; but is probably best known for creating a rather sugary, but alcoholic, Mediterranean island cocktail and a carousing carol. His hilairious poetry settings and a rather blunt vulpine song deserve a mention.

Can you name both composers? And, for extra points, a radio playwright?​

(Looking forward to French Frank's NTITRE)

Comment

With you up to the word 'dramatically'
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Thanks Tapiola.

Unrelated to Michael (who is far less enchanting), this W dramatically interrupted Mrs. Euterpe; but is probably best known for creating a rather sugary, but alcoholic, Mediterranean island cocktail and a carousing carol. His hilairious poetry settings and a rather blunt vulpine song deserve a mention.

Can you name both composers? And, for extra points, a radio playwright?​

(Looking forward to French Frank's NTITRE)
            Is Michael one of the two composers, or does your post contain 2 different sets of clues?

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Is Michael one of the two composers, or does your post contain 2 different sets of clues?
              Michael, I think, is not a composer. I took the second sentence to refer to the second composer.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Michael, I think, is not a composer. I took the second sentence to refer to the second composer.
                Thank you!

Comment

You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment.

I'd concentrate on the main composer - the other will appear (like the shopkeeper in Mr Benn).

Comment

Oh, I think I have the main composer but have not solved all the clues... Peter Warlock? Unrelated to Michael (Heseltine, though they share a birth surname (Peter Warlock was originally Philip Heseltine)). Hilairious poetry - 3 Belloc Songs by Warlock. Blunt vulpine song = The Fox, by Warlock. Mediterranean island cocktail = Warlock (a variant on The Godfather cocktail - The Godfather has Sicilian denotations).

Stuck on the second composer, the radio playwright and Mrs Euterpe...

Comment

Oh, I think I have the main composer but have not solved all the clues... Peter Warlock? Unrelated to Michael (Heseltine, though they share a birth surname (Peter Warlock was originally Philip Heseltine)). Hilairious poetry - 3 Belloc Songs by Warlock. Blunt vulpine song = The Fox, by Warlock. Mediterranean island cocktail = Warlock (a variant on The Godfather cocktail - The Godfather has Sicilian denotations).
                      Stuck on the second composer, the radio playwright and Mrs Euterpe...
                      Well done Tapiola, you have both composers - Peter Warlock / Philip Heseltine. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
                      (I almost added that "Michael is not the only politician to leave the jungle" to the earlier reply, but thought the Urqhuart quote might help.)

Belloc Songs & The Fox (Blunt did the words) are spot on.

The island is off Italy & needs to be made alcoholic. What's another word for sugary?

The carol?

Mrs. Euterpe appears with Gesualdo... and don't forget dear old W.

Comment

... Mediterranean island cocktail = Warlock (a variant on The Godfather cocktail - The Godfather has Sicilian denotations)...
                        A perfect answer for French Frank's NTITRE game.
                        The Godfather & Warlock cocktails are new to me - but I love them as an answer & the logic is flawless.

Comment

Very elegant clue-setting, AD.

Comment

With you up to the word 'dramatically'
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Very elegant clue-setting, AD.
                              Thank you.

BTW According to Wikipedia, the writing of the Carol had an interesting carousing back-story, also involving Bruce Blunt.

Comment

We're still not there, are we? I will (grudgingly ) accept the second composer - although I don't think the second one composed much - but if the cocktail is not a Godfather/Warlock (is it a Volcano from Ischia?). As for you twerpy ... And where's Pulcinella when he got us into all this?

Comment

Working...
                                X