Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm steaming!

A BBC post typo made me laugh... Does this include R3 trailers which make me steam?

9:13
    Cat food and DVDs lift inflation
    Dearbail Jordan, Business reporter

Want someone to blame for higher inflation? How about cats?
    According to the ONS, cat food contributed to the surprise increase in prices.
    For some reason, it categorises feline grub under "recreational and cultural goods and services" and in the year to December, these prices rose by 6%. This was an increase from 5.5% in November.
    Given it was, for many, the Christmas season, prices for computer games, consoles and toys rose. As did DVDs which, in this age of steaming, is perhaps a surprise.
    Meanwhile, prices for theatre tickets - Christmas pantomimes? - also increased as did the cost of package holidays.
    The ONS cautions that "short-term movements in some of these categories should be interpreted with a degree of caution as the movements depend upon the composition of best seller charts".
    Though we'd love to know what people are feeding their cats.
    I wonder why the cat photo is "A cat yesterday". Is the-day-before-yesterday's cat not newsworthy?

Does that mean I'm also to blame? Steaming is the way I usually cook my veg

More relevantly, BBC Online has become the new Grauniad. I often right in to point out there mitsakes.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

More relevantly, BBC Online has become the new Grauniad. I often right in to point out there mitsakes.

Wot misstaiks? Yoo write winjers are always complaning!

Comment

From the Fiends of Radio3?

Comment

.... elitist hot air....
          bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post

From the Fiends of Radio3?
            We were once referred to in that vein by one of our early ill-wishers (not the Beeb, though).

Is the-day-before-yesterday's cat not newsworthy?
            Not in journalism. When I was working on an evening paper we were instructed never to include the word yesterday in the intro. 'Today' was fine, but if it was necessary to include the Y-word, bury it somewhere.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
              .... elitist hot air....
              You mean eleetist, surely!

Comment

We were once referred to in that vein by one of our early ill-wishers (not the Beeb, though).

Not in journalism. When I was working on an evening paper we were instructed never to include the word yesterday in the intro. 'Today' was fine, but if it was necessary to include the Y-word, bury it somewhere.
                In a Beatles song.

Comment

Steams up in the Arctic as well it would seem...This, from a Guardian weather article (my bold)
                  The shifting polar jet stream is shooting cold air at the UK straight from the Arctic. While there is a hot and a cold side to the steam...

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

In a Beatles song.
                    Or plurally in a Otto Harburg lyric to Jerome Kern’s dots!

Comment

Working...
                    X