Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC Singers saved?

Can’t find the original BBC Singers Threat thread. Feel free to merge moderators please
    This is the latest

The broadcaster unveils a plan that it says "secures the future" of its under-threat chamber choir.

So they’ve been saved …maybe ? Curious that an organisation funded by compulsory subscription and with 4.5 billion of annual income needs to rely a tiny charity for help. Not money notice but help. I wonder that all those managers are for ? Well I worked there for 40 years on and off so I kind of know the answer.

Good news about the orchestras.

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
    Can’t find the original BBC Singers Threat thread. Feel free to merge moderators please
    This is the latest

The broadcaster unveils a plan that it says "secures the future" of its under-threat chamber choir.

So they’ve been saved …maybe ? Curious that an organisation funded by compulsory subscription and with 4.5 billion of annual income needs to rely a tiny charity for help. Not money notice but help. I wonder that all those managers are for ? Well I worked there for 40 years on and off so I kind of know the answer.

Good news about the orchestras.
    Yes indeed: that's the grain of comfort, in an otherwise obfuscatory and vague press release concerning the future of the BBC Singers. If this charity isn't providing money, what is it providing? Commercial leads??

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post

Yes indeed: that's the grain of comfort, in an otherwise obfuscatory and vague press release concerning the future of the BBC Singers. If this charity isn't providing money, what is it providing? Commercial leads??
      As an in to partnership funding from external funders maybe .Also outreach contacts with education institutions like Universities that are flush with cash . Do you know what MJ I used to get paid good money to do just that for the Beeb .It ain’t rocket science so why bring in a third party? Unless it’s from sources that the BBC doesn’t want to be explicitly linked to. The Concerto for Choir sponsored by BP?

Comment

Good news. I think the BBC Singers had already been expanding their horizons anyway - for example they're appearing at the 3 Choirs Festival this year, a first, certainly in the 10+ years that I've been attending.

On the other hand it's disappointing that the proposed cuts to the English orchestras have only been 'shelved', according to the article.

Comment

This is the full statement from the VOCES8 Foundation:

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            This is the full statement from the VOCES8 Foundation:

https://voces8.foundation/v8f-bbc-singers
            Thanks FF. The Voces8 statement is more explicit. Looks like the BBC Singers will be getting charitable funding in exchange for Education and Outreach work. That opens up a whole extra can of worms perhaps though there already plenty things the BBC does that attract external charity money e.g. BBC Media Action . This does journalist training and media consultancy all over the world .An excellent charity that does much good work in very difficult areas - also a great berth for those who can’t face the deadline grindstone for another second.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
              Good news. I think the BBC Singers had already been expanding their horizons anyway - for example they're appearing at the 3 Choirs Festival this year, a first, certainly in the 10+ years that I've been attending.

On the other hand it's disappointing that the proposed cuts to the English orchestras have only been 'shelved', according to the article.
              This is the full BBC statement not the news story I posted . I guess “shelved” is a good summary of the orchestral cuts . They are certainly not ruled out .

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

This is the full BBC statement not the news story I posted . I guess “shelved” is a good summary of the orchestral cuts . They are certainly not ruled out .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/20...ers-orchestras
                Thanks for that. I'll link to it in that annoying yellow banner I've had on the listings website for the last few months.

Comment

Working...
                X