Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commune : Old Hall Suffolk 50 years old

.....an informative article ref life over the last 50 years at a commune https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...-a-guardian-ad
    bong ching

Thanks. I had not heard of that. I found it interesting. They seem to have done better than Pitcairn Island, at any rate. It wouldn't do for me, but I wish them well.

Comment

Such rural communes were covered several years ago in the best part of a 1990s TV series called Far Out: The Roots of New Age, which I have on tapes but can find no references to on the Net. Some set up in the spirit of William Morris early in the last century faced ongoing hostility from local villagers, council planning enforcers and Christian moral crusaders. The article strongly suggests having sizeable capital to hand before embarking on setting one up or even joining one in this day and age to be an essential, unlike back when it was mainly working class-based and sustained. Have the unacknowledged "founders" (or often foundlings) of Basildon New Town post WW1 been acknowledged their due? The radical urban-centred alternative lifestylism of the 1970s/80s in the form of squatting derelict properties, often council-owned but due for demolition for so-called re-development purposes, faced similar opposition, but more from governments national and local. So, with all that in mind, would I want to live somewhere like Old Hall? If or when the ecosystems collapse humanity my well have to bring about its own Huxleyite self-sustaining Islands and try and work out who's in and who's to be excluded, numbers aside.. I would on one hand fully commit to such an enterprise, especially the grow-your-own aspect and collective decision-making, I have doubts whether my musical tastes would go down well, so it would be headphones from now on, dependent on a local supply source for batteries for my cheap keyboard.

Comment

We knew a number of people who lived there through either shared musical interests or because our children went to the same schools. It has an enviable location overlooking the Stour valley - 'Constable Country' so-called and before its present use it was home to a religious order.

Comment

....looks like a beautiful building....it has a warm feeling while being imposing....
          bong ching

Comment

Just checked where it is. I've been there. My brother spent several years there as a Franciscan friar.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Just checked where it is. I've been there. My brother spent several years there as a Franciscan friar.
              Would he have ridden a motorbike and visited factories as part of his pastoral duties? If so our paths crossed may have crossed in the late sixties.

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post

Would he have ridden a motorbike and visited factories as part of his pastoral duties? If so our paths crossed may have crossed in the late sixties.
                No, he rode a pedal bike but didn't even learn to drive until after he left. Never a motorbike. Don't think he had 'pastorl duties' then as he was just a student. He was there in the late sixties.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

....Here's one for gurnemanz to understand and S_A to find puns .....Trappist Monks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXCH60iptCU
                  bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                    ....Here's one for gurnemanz to understand and S_A to find puns .....Trappist Monks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXCH60iptCU
                    Keith Tippett told a very funny joke about a trappist monastery/ Unfortunately it's too crude to re-tell on this (or probably any other) forum, and in any case depends on "delivery", but a clue is to be found in the title and first line of the famous song, "Some Enchanted Evening".

Comment

Working...
                    X