Is BBC iPlayer access is to be restricted to mobile phones or tablets?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is BBC iPlayer access is to be restricted to mobile phones or tablets?

This is a letter in next week's Radio Times:

"I am angry that the BBC is ending the possibility of downloading programmes from iPlayer when using laptops, PCs and Macs. I can't be the only person with poor eyesight that finds titchy phone screens a trial? I don't own a tablet.

Once again the BBC seeks to save money at the expense of the older person who is not so good with new technology".

To which comes this reply:

After 11 March you will only be able to download programmes from iPlayer if you have the app installed. The BBC says this decision was taken to remove the service 'due to the low number of people using it and the cost required to keep it going'.

I almost cannot believe I am reading this. As someone who does not possess a mobile phone, this must mean that the likes of me will not be able to listen to the new jazz programme Round Midnight, or for that matter "listen again" to or watch any programme, other than at its time of broadcast. Furthermore I was under the impression that more people have been using the iPlayer and its equivalents than actually listening or watching at times of broadcast.

Please tell me I've got this wrong!

BBC iplayer is TV, is it not?

Round Midnight will be on BBC Sounds - is this affected by this decision too?

I assume you will still be able to stream programmes via the Internet, but not download them onto a device.

OG
    Last edited by Old Grumpy; 28-02-24, 18:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
      BBC iplayer is TV, is it not?

Round Midnight will be on BBC Sounds - is this affected by this decision too?

OG
      I'd guess that's right (TV only):

It is no longer possible to install the BBC iPlayer Downloads application as it is being decommissioned and will close on Monday 8 April 2024. Find out more here: Why can I no longer access BBC iPlayer Downloads? You can still download your favourite programmes using the iPlayer mobile/tablet app. For more information, have a look here: How can I watch programmes when I'm offline?
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

What devastating news. We can only hope there is a mass outcry at this ludicrous decision. It is utterly ridiculous to think that watching programmes on a mobile phone can in any way compare quality-wise with seeing them on a decent-sized computer screen, with quality speakers. Weren't we informed that more people were turning to the iPlayer in these pressing times than actually watching "in real time"? Or did I dream that?.

I suppose we will have to wait to find out of Sounds is likewise to be downgraded.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          This is a letter in next week's Radio Times:

"I am angry that the BBC is ending the possibility of downloading programmes from iPlayer when using laptops, PCs and Macs. I can't be the only person with poor eyesight that finds titchy phone screens a trial? I don't own a tablet.

Once again the BBC seeks to save money at the expense of the older person who is not so good with new technology".

To which comes this reply:

After 11 March you will only be able to download programmes from iPlayer if you have the app installed. The BBC says this decision was taken to remove the service 'due to the low number of people using it and the cost required to keep it going'.

I almost cannot believe I am reading this. As someone who does not possess a mobile phone, this must mean that the likes of me will not be able to listen to the new jazz programme Round Midnight, or for that matter "listen again" to or watch any programme, other than at its time of broadcast. Furthermore I was under the impression that more people have been using the iPlayer and its equivalents than actually listening or watching at times of broadcast.

Please tell me I've got this wrong!
          You should also be able to stream on any device and any browser for 30 days after broadcast - much longer depending on the licence the BBC has obtained. Most TV progs these days have a one year window for example. What you won’t be able to do is download a complete programme through an app or browser *onto a desktop or computer. So there will be no extension of that 30 days by delaying opening the download. An inconvenience I agree but the BBC is looking to save money and its distribution costs are astronomical.
          * I bet there are apps which get round this

Comment

Not a lot of notice given it looks like, as downloading stops on 11th March - the April date is when whatever you've got expires so it all finishes completely.
            It doesn't affect me (don't want to sit at my desk to watch things on the PC) but I am somewhat puzzled - does that mean "everyone" (where "everyone" is critical mass for "enough")now watches on mobile phones? Or have I misunderstood something - quite likely as I don't have the relevant devices so can't use them anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

You should also be able to stream on any device and any browser for 30 days after broadcast - much longer depending on the licence the BBC has obtained. Most TV progs these days have a one year window for example. What you won’t be able to do is download a complete programme through an app or browser *onto a desktop or computer. So there will be no extension of that 30 days by delaying opening the download. An inconvenience I agree but the BBC is looking to save money and its distribution costs are astronomical.
              I understood this to be the current situation, but that this is about to be ditched. Are you saying "You ought" as in "you should have the right to..."?

Comment

Thx for clarification - that's what I would have thought - so watching for 30 days (or whatever) should still be possible on a fixed computer with an Internet connection.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

Thx for clarification - that's what I would have thought - so watching for 30 days (or whatever) should still be possible on a fixed computer with an Internet connection.
                  If it isn’t apologies and I’ll be joining the protest.

Comment

If it isn’t apologies and I’ll be joining the protest.

Comment

That would be a pretty safe bet.

I wonder if the latest changes might break them? Asking for a friend.

Comment

I can't believe they will remove the streaming ability on devices other than mobile. This would affect smart TVs and is surely one of the key features of having such a device (we have just recently bought one!)

Comment

Originally posted by hmvman View Post

I can't believe they will remove the streaming ability on devices other than mobile. This would affect smart TVs and is surely one of the key features of having such a device (we have just recently bought one!)
                          Good point - one would hope this and others are being pointed out to the BBC.

Comment

Originally posted by hmvman View Post

That isn’t going to happen . This is from the relevant BBC website

“Why can I no longer access BBC iPlayer Downloads?

We have made the difficult decision to close the BBC iPlayer Downloads application for PC and Mac, due to the low number of people using it and the cost required to keep it going. This does not affect downloads on the BBC iPlayer mobile or tablet apps, and viewers can continue to stream programmes on BBC iPlayer on their PCs and Macs. Can I still watch programmes on my computer?

All of our live and on-demand programmes can be streamed on your computer by heading to the website: bbc.co.uk/iplayer. Once you've found the programme you want to watch, just press the play button​ “

Comment

That isn’t going to happen . This is from the relevant BBC website

“Why can I no longer access BBC iPlayer Downloads?

We have made the difficult decision to close the BBC iPlayer Downloads application for PC and Mac, due to the low number of people using it and the cost required to keep it going. This does not affect downloads on the BBC iPlayer mobile or tablet apps, and viewers can continue to stream programmes on BBC iPlayer on their PCs and Macs. Can I still watch programmes on my computer?

All of our live and on-demand programmes can be streamed on your computer by heading to the website: bbc.co.uk/iplayer. Once you've found the programme you want to watch, just press the play button​ “
                              That's for now though - not after March 11?

Comment

Working...
                              X