Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Touched a nerve at THE Wigmore Hall

On another thread, I drew attention to this questionable post on the Wigmore Hall twitter feed

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Off-topic, but talking of silly schoolgirl (or schoolboy) tweets, "Wigmore Hall" seems to be using its Twitter account to run some sort of knocking-shop:

I also questioned on the site whether they thought tweets like this were good PR for The Wigmore Hall.

Today, I noticed that they've blocked me from following them or receiving their twits' "tweets"

I wonder if it was my determined use of the definite article when referring to the building, or the uncomfortable truth about the silliness!

It's doubly dented my regard for the place.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Of course it's always The Wigmore Hall.

I am resistant to enforced rebranding; I'm looking forward to the start of the Henry Wood Proms season.

Comment

Serves you right for being on twitter. Who is it, anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        Serves you right for being on twitter. Who is it, anyway?

You are right, Flossie!

Can't remember - some American footballer, someone else said I think.

Comment

some American footballer, someone else said I think.
          Could someone please email me the name of his dentist.
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

I was wondering about this blocking. Never used Twitter, but I am registered as a user. Radio 3, has gone overboard to garner tweets. Do they block critical (say, but not abusive) twitter users?

If so it is restricting comment to block someone because they are just questioning, or even disapproving of the subject matter. In the case of the BBC how does that square with free speech, and their charter obligations (or their "values").

And in the case of everyone else, how does it relate to the terms of use of Twitter (not that Twitter would care much).

I did look for somewhere other than Twitter (or facebook which again I do not use) to register support for the DPP when the Greville Janner decision was reversed. And to protest at the the hounding (to resignation or was it dismissal) in the case of Prof Tim Hunt. I didn't find anywhere.

The enraged social media users, publicists, media advisors and the gutter, tabloid and ordinarily flawed press channels seem to control the agenda and exert undue influence.

Comment

[COLOR="#0000FF"]I also questioned on the site whether they thought tweets like this were good PR for The Wigmore Hall.

Today, I noticed that they've blocked me from following them or receiving their twits' "tweets"
              Radio 3's Facebook page has pointed out that today is July 4th and have flagged up the BBC Food American recipes; before that they enquired whether Radio 3 listeners like cat videos.

What are they using the Radio 3 Facebook for?
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Radio 3's Facebook page has pointed out that today is July 4th and have flagged up the BBC Food American recipes; before that they enquired whether Radio 3 listeners like cat videos.

What are they using the Radio 3 Facebook for?
                ....there was a prog about cats (+ cat vid's) this morn....
                bong ching

Comment

Having had a read of the Wigmore Hall Twiter feed, I am left wondering how long Rumpole had been " following" before saying something that got him banned.
                  If it was more than a week, the he did pretty well.

Does that stuff really persuade folks to go along to more concerts?
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    Having had a read of the Wigmore Hall Twiter feed, I am left wondering how long Rumpole had been " following" before saying something that got him banned.
                    If it was more than a week, the he did pretty well.
                    Some while before that in fact - they'd obviously decided on a policy of 'oblique' marketing, supposedly drôle and apparently irrelevant witty quips....

Can you see if they left in place the tasteless one in question? It was 19/20 June (judging from my initial post).

Comment

Some while before that in fact - they'd obviously decided on a policy of 'oblique' marketing, supposedly drôle and apparently irrelevant witty quips....

Can you see if they left in place the tasteless one in question? It was 19/20 June (judging from my initial post).
                      yes, still there. June 20th.

Had to wade through loads of other pointless **** to find it.

i think you will find they have what is known as an " Audience development Manager".......
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

an " Audience development Manager".......
                        I wonder (or would do if I thought that there might be anything to could care less about) how anyone manages the development of an audience - or auditions the manager of a development - or develops the management of an audience - or - er...

A symptom of a surfeit of chiefs and not an Indian in sight or earshot, one might assume...

Comment

funny thing is, to have an Audience Development Manager, you don't even need to have an actual or potential audience.......

Modern business eh? bosses do all the vital work, everybody else is a cost....

Oh look, now you got me started, Hinto......
                          Right , off for a walk now, to consider the views, and the evening's listening.

Comment

funny thing is, to have an Audience Development Manager, you don't even need to have an actual or potential audience.......

Modern business eh? bosses do all the vital work, everybody else is a cost....

Oh look, now you got me started, Hinto......
                            Right , off for a walk now, to consider the views, and the evening's listening.
                            At least Manager of Audience Development might be appropriate acronymically...

Comment

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                              Of course it's always The Wigmore Hall.

I am resistant to enforced rebranding; I'm looking forward to the start of the Henry Wood Proms season.

Hear, hear!!! Let's have back the 'the's that have served us so innocently and usefully through time ...

THE Royal Albert Hall ...

THE South Bank ...

THE Proms ...

and

THE Wigmore Hall, to mention but a few; and while we're at it, can we have back 'the Tate GALLERY' and chuck that 'TATE BRITAIN' faux, trendy branding in the river and flow downstream where it can be cleansed and expunged at Crossness.

As for the original purpose of the post. I can't think of any level on which it would be appropriate. I'm no prude as my friends will attest, but this is really too crass, and what about the guy in the picture? Might make him uncomfortable, I's think.

Comment

Working...
                              X