X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First service

Will you be listening 9.00 Saturday?

Pass
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      Almost certainly

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Pass
        Shouldn't that be Let, and the poor ball boy has to go running for the offending item?
        (I used to think that they called Net, because the ball hit the net!)

Comment

No.

Comment

Also NO!

Already been Alker-ed this morning (after being driven from R4). Made even worse because, in amongst the Radio 6 Music, she actually plays some decent pieces. It feels like being back at primary school - "now then kiddies, this is Mozart..."
            Back to TTN (until they destroy that too).

Comment

More to the point, who will be listening? Anyone? I wonder at whom this programme is aimed. Young people who might be drawn into listening to 'Calssical Lite'? Surely they'll be doing something else on a Saturday morning...

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                More to the point, who will be listening? Anyone? I wonder at whom this programme is aimed. Young people who might be drawn into listening to 'Calssical Lite'? Surely they'll be doing something else on a Saturday morning...
                All those Tom Service fans - of whom there are a great many we are led to believe. Enough to offset those who are not in the fan club and will therefore become former listeners?

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  All those Tom Service fans - of whom there are a great many we are led to believe. Enough to offset those who are not in the fan club and will therefore become former listeners?
                  Yes. They know that the 9am Saturday slot gets a high audience. They will expect the number to perhaps briefly drop as the RR listeners disappear, then increase as new fans - many moving over from other stations - will tune in for an easy Saturday morning background sound. All part of the decades-long plan to adjust the Radio 3 audience to make the station 'better value for money'. What the BBC gains will more than offset, in their view, any cultural loss. All the pioneering spirit of the early Proms advocates - creating a new audience for classical music - is lost to the Great God of Audiences and Marketing.

There are current R3 listeners now who are happy for R3 to broadcast anything at all as long as they personally enjoy it and it fits their own listening routine. "I know there is an argument as to whether it should be on R3 (but I like it which trumps all other arguments)." SAD, as the other trump would say.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Well so far I like it. Tom thankfully isn’t providing us with unwanted details from his daily life , reading out unfunny emails and trying to amuse us in the Essential Classics fashion. It’s very pared down presentation and he’s put the Roget thesaurus away for once. He’s also not getting over excited and showing why he is such a good presenter when he doesnt go on a verbal flight of fancy . . There are many less agreeable ways of spending a Saturday than listening to Land Lang play a rare piece of Boulanger - rather well as it happens. It is also by no means easy listening - no Ella , Gershwin , Anderson and other EC staples - so far

Comment

Well I listened to the first 30 minutes of the new Saturday Morning programme on Radio 3 but it is just another Classical Music Greatest Hits show. Why to we need another programme of this type? Pretty much every morning on Radio 3 and all day on Classic FM is filled with this type of show. What is the point in broadcasting the finale of the Mendelssohn Octet without playing the journey that leads us up to that point in the music? It reminds me of those people who eat the icing off the top of their slice of Christmas cake and then put the fruity bit back on the plate for someone else to take.

Comment

Too many final movements!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Old Bean View Post
                          Well I listened to the first 30 minutes of the new Saturday Morning programme on Radio 3 but it is just another Classical Music Greatest Hits show. Why to we need another programme of this type? Pretty much every morning on Radio 3 and all day on Classic FM is filled with this type of show. What is the point in broadcasting the finale of the Mendelssohn Octet without playing the journey that leads us up to that point in the music? It reminds me of those people who eat the icing off the top of their slice of Christmas cake and then put the fruity bit back on the plate for someone else to take.
                          Welcome to the Forum Ian! I turned this off after about 15 mins having decided that TS's approach was not for me - more appropriate to CFM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Old Bean View Post
                            yes I’d agree but have you noticed how thankfully short the links are and the fact that he’s not mentioned his kids, his holidays, his past career , the view from the window , what Bert in the Orkneys thinks about Gershwin , the weather , made a pun and all the other things that make Essential Classics an irritant . He’s also not said “brilliant”, “fantastic “ or “iconic”

PS . welcome Ian
                            The only good thing about the R3 schedule changes - lots of welcome new forum members. I don’t think they’ve (the changes that is )gone down well at all.

Comment

Too many final movements!
                              Good point. Perhaps because they are often the liveliest and they don’t want the tempo to sag in the morning
                              Problem is that 06.30 to 12,00 could become an Adagio free zone. Which is why I would like some whole works.

Comment

Working...
                              X