Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
    There was a tribute to him on France Musique this morning, including a stirring rendition of Land of 'Ope and Glorie.
    I gather the Proms programme will be announced this week - hope this is not a bad omen......
    A tribute on BBC 4 would be nice, but at the moment 'Every Night Is Snooker Night'

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
      Here he is conducting the Vaughan Williams Fantasia on a theme of Thomas Tallis - the BBC Symphony Orchestra at Gloucester Cathedral at night time, no audience.
      Vaughan Williams Fantasia on a theme of Thomas Tallis.The BBC Symphony Orchestra conducted by Andrew Davis at Gloucester Cathedral, where in 1910, it was pla...

How I wish the BBC would broadcast again the TV programme in which it featured - I can't find the details at the moment but it was a series of British or English composers and their music. The Elgar programmes was published as (IIRC) a video tape - but not the Vaughan Williams (The performance audio was issued as a BBC music magazine CD (labelled Belshazzar's Feast with a photo of Leeds Town Hall on the cover).
      I have found all three TV recordings on YouTube, the Tallis, the Feast and the Programme Called Belshazzar's Feast (documentary and performance) and I also picked up the BBC music magazine CD for the princely sum of 80p from a charity shop.

Comment

I shall play my favourite recording of his - Delius concertos with T.Little and P.Watkins.

Comment

A performance of Bruckner 9 was put up on YouTube yesterday, highly recommended.

Proms 1977, New Philharmonia Orchestra.

Comment

One of the obituaries says that he was orchestrating some of Bach's organ music, presumably for a recording project, having already made a start some years ago with his own colourful arrangement of the Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor. That's on You Tube from a Radio 3 broadcast in 2004 when he and the BBCSO visited Bad Kissingen in Germany. Bach transcriptions weren't new to Sir Andrew, as gave Proms performances of arrangements by Stokowski, Elgar and Wood - and quite splendid they all are too! ...

There have been several orchestral versions of Bach's mighty Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor, notably those by Respighi and Stokowski. Here is another colou...

Leopold Stokowski's orchestral transcription of Bach's Toccata and Fugue for organ is probably the most famous of all Bach arrangements, having been widely p...

Sir Edward Elgar's superb orchestration of Bach's Fantasia and Fugue in C minor was a highlight of the Last Night of the 2000 Proms at the Royal Albert Hall,...

Sir Henry Wood, founder of the London Promenade Concerts in 1895, was also an arranger as well as a conductor. He was less prolific than Leopold Stokowski in...

Leopold Stokowski made his first appearance with the BBC Symphony Orchestra in London’s newly-built Royal Festival Hall in 1951. Fifty years later, Sir Andre...

Comment

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
              There was a tribute to him on France Musique this morning, including a stirring rendition of Land of 'Ope and Glorie.
              I gather the Proms programme will be announced this week - hope this is not a bad omen......
              A belated RIP

(And there will sadly have to be a personnel change to one of the Proms… )
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                (And there will sadly have to be a personnel change to one of the Proms… )[/COLOR]
                Also to a December 2024 BBC SO concert and a January 2025 Toronto SO concert:

BBC SO:

The BBC Symphony Orchestra & Chorus rediscover the tenderness and wonder of Berlioz’s magical Christmas cantata, L’enfance du Christ.

Toronto SO program:

"SIR ANDREW CONDUCTS EMANUEL AX + MOZART
                Wed, Jan 15, 2025 at 8:00pm
                Sat, Jan 18, 2025 at 8:00pm
                Sun, Jan 19, 2025 at 3:00pm

Sir Andrew Davis, conductor
                Emanuel Ax, piano

Tippett: Concerto for Double String Orchestra
                Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 25, K. 503
                R. Strauss: Also sprach Zarathustra​"
                More tributes:

Toronto SO:

Melbourne SO:
                With heavy hearts, we share the news of the passing of Sir Andrew Davis on Saturday, 20 April at the age of 80 years old. Sir Andrew made his MSO debut…

Glyndebourne:

Comment

Sir Andrew's last Prom can be heard tomorrow (Thursday) evening at 7.30 p.m. - 4th symphonies of Vaughan Williams and Michael Tippett.

Comment

As part of a tribute to Sir Andrew, Linton Stephens played the first movt of Sir Andrew's recording of the Elgar Serenade, I thought it deeply moving.

Comment

Working...
                    X