Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
    Thanks, that makes sense. Although I don't like the idea of Auntie knowing who I am! Or what I'm listening to.

(Your sub rosa prompted a G&S earworm "One Latin word, one Greek remark, And one that's French.")
    Any company that you register via email with can track when you log on and in the case of companies like Facebook track exactly to the keystroke what you are up . That’s how they work out what to prompt you with in terms of advertising. I’m 99 per cent sure the BBC doesn’t do this because 1) it has nothing like the computing capacity needed to do so and 2) the information would serve little purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I daresay Sounds could track that, but it would be entirely separate from Rajar quarterly figures which are compiled from the listener diaries based on timeslots which indicate what was being listened to e.g Saturday 9.15 - 9.30 Radio 3 (that'll be Record Review then). The BBC has a pretty good idea of what listeners are listening to and who they are: they just keep the information sub rosa - as they are entitled to do.
      If the Rajar figures only include live listening (and I’m pretty sure you’re right) they are more or less meaningless . I listen on sounds 90 per cent of the time and usually time shift by a few minutes or so.
      PS - they are legally obliged not to reveal the names of listeners and what they are listening to under the DPA unless they have your permission. Buried away under pages of legalese from Facebook et al you will find that you’ve given that permission unless you spend quite a bit of time adjusting privacy settings.

Comment

I'm just reposting this to see if it will appear at the top of the What's New? view as this seemed to be stuck on one a few posts back. No, it still shows Aunt Daisy's at 20.05 yesterday - but with my avatar

I don't like the idea of Auntie knowing who I am! Or what I'm listening to.
        I didn't mean anything quite as accurate as to be tied in to you as an indvidual, or even as a cookie But one way or another, they have a good idea of the kind of listener who tunes in to Happy Harmonies and what causes them to switch off.

(Your sub rosa prompted a G&S earworm "One Latin word, one Greek remark, And one that's French.")
        Would that be the base canaille, the vulgar plebs and oι πoλλo​, by any chance (not necessarily in that order)?​
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I'll muddy the water now with a dummy post.

Actually I'll update my RAJAR spreadsheet soon and post a graph here later.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
            I'll muddy the water now with a dummy post.

Actually I'll update my RAJAR spreadsheet soon and post a graph here later.
            It's now showing my (blank) avatar but Aunt Daisy's post.

Comment

Thanks, that makes sense. Although I don't like the idea of Auntie knowing who I am! Or what I'm listening to.

I'm replying to the same post again to see if this sorts the anomaly.

No, it diidn't But Andrew has now seemingly sorted it
              Last edited by french frank; 04-08-23, 14:46.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Sam is obviously the Man ……. He posted on Musk

“Announced today: @BBCRadio3’s audience increases to over 2 million, adding c.300k listeners both quarter-on-quarter and year-on-year - following a buoyant @bbcproms season:”

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post

“Announced today: @BBCRadio3’s audience increases to over 2 million, adding c.300k listeners both quarter-on-quarter and year-on-year - following a buoyant @bbcproms season:”
                  Also up year on year as he says . Mind you with the hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of free promotion on network TV and radio it does show that trails do work. Quite a good quarter for R1 and R4 but a bad one for local radio in England reflecting the huge programming cuts no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post

So had you noticed this dramatic improvement since he took over? However gleeful one may be when one's fave station pulls in more listeners one quarter, it simply makes the point for the critics: go populist and you get more listeners. That is a change of ethos in Radio 3 which is why the few depart as the somewhat more arrive, though in by no means unprecedented numbers (the figures are simply better than they have been, not great in absolute terms). It suggests 'most people' prefer entertainment to intellectual content. Who knew that?

Breakfast figures don't show a clear improvement so one could theorise that the 'new arrivals' prefer their existing breakfast serial. They might arrive for the evening alternative when Radio 3 goes off air! We shan't know for sure (other than the published Breakfast figures) since the public aren't allowed to know the detailed figures which they pay for ...

It could also mean that the 'old crowd' drifts back for the Proms ...

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

Also up year on year as he says . Mind you with the hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of free promotion on network TV and radio it does show that trails do work. Quite a good quarter for R1 and R4 but a bad one for local radio in England reflecting the huge programming cuts no doubt.
                      Well if there's nothing being broadcast that is of interest to the listeners... I rarely look at the online version of my local rag as the website is an abomination but recently in the course of trying to track down some information I came across some comments about what has happened to the local BBC radio output - they were not at all positive, with the general feeling that if it wasn't local there wasn't much point in listening.There was also sadness at the loss of something that had been a part in their lives for so long.

Comment

This also may be of interest - it came up on my Google homepage- big brother is watching!

Classic FM has recovered slightly, BBC Radio 3 listeners are down, and Scala Radio has recorded losses for 8 consecutive quarters, according to new figures from RAJAR (Radio Join Audience Research) . Released today, the figures cover the fourth quarter of 2023. Classic FM has lost 785,000 listener

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                          This also may be of interest - it came up on my Google homepage- big brother is watching!

Classic FM has recovered slightly, BBC Radio 3 listeners are down, and Scala Radio has recorded losses for 8 consecutive quarters, according to new figures from RAJAR (Radio Join Audience Research) . Released today, the figures cover the fourth quarter of 2023. Classic FM has lost 785,000 listener

That's pretty much the current situation. Though I do always quibble about the terms 'gaining listeners' and 'losing listeners' (even worse 'gaining new listeners'). The quarterly figures go up and down for a variety of reasons. If Station X reach drops by 300,000 one quarter and goes up by 300,000 the following quarter, Station X has not 'gained 300,000 new listeners': its reach has returned to its normal level.

As far as R3 is concerned, it had just had 4 quarters in a row where it dropped, sometimes significantly, below 2m. But in June 2022 reach was 2.022m, in the March it was 2.053m, both higher than this quarter. Going back to pre-Covid days, in December 2019 reach was 2.156m. Trends are important (as for CFM), one quarter's figures can be completely doolally.

So it's true to say that R3's figures 'bounced back' this quarter, but one can only speculate as to why: Proms quarters are sometimes very good, sometimes very weak. I was trying to establish from listeners what change they had noticed in the programming/content which might suggest a new hand on the tiller accounted for this quarter's increase,

Comment

That's pretty much the current situation. Though I do always quibble about the terms 'gaining listeners' and 'losing listeners' (even worse 'gaining new listeners'). The quarterly figures go up and down for a variety of reasons. If Station X reach drops by 300,000 one quarter and goes up by 300,000 the following quarter, Station X has not 'gained 300,000 new listeners': its reach has returned to its normal level.

As far as R3 is concerned, it had just had 4 quarters in a row where it dropped, sometimes significantly, below 2m. But in June 2022 reach was 2.022m, in the March it was 2.053m, both higher than this quarter. Going back to pre-Covid days, in December 2019 reach was 2.156m. Trends are important (as for CFM), one quarter's figures can be completely doolally.

So it's true to say that R3's figures 'bounced back' this quarter, but one can only speculate as to why: Proms quarters are sometimes very good, sometimes very weak. I was trying to establish from listeners what change they had noticed in the programming/content which might suggest a new hand on the tiller accounted for this quarter's increase,
                            A forlorn hope indeed!

"...'new arrivals' prefer their existing breakfast serial"
                            If I were organising Radio 3 they'd be getting all-day serial: SuperBrunch Special Plus!

Comment

I was trying to establish from listeners what change they had noticed in the programming/content which might suggest a new hand on the tiller accounted for this quarter's increase,
                              I can't say I've noticed any change in either other than perhaps more frequent and hyperbolic trails/adverts. The Proms were relentlessly promoted this year which may have made a difference.

Comment

Scala Radio may lose some more listeners as they have gone over to DAB+. I won’t be listening as much as my portable radios are only DAB. There are only a few of their presenters I can listen to anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X