Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone seen any comment by the BBC and/or R3 on the latest figures ....... ?????

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
      Anything Radio 3 can learn from this?

Zoe Ball’s BBC Radio 2 breakfast show sheds 780,000 listeners
      https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...oses-listeners
      The ‘Cornish One’ not in danger of being replaced by Zoe Ball anytime soon? ...and maybe Chris Evans has taken some listeners with him. Who really cares - I’ll stick with Julie and James on Radio Cornwall.

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
        Anyone seen any comment by the BBC and/or R3 on the latest figures ....... ?????
        only https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/la.../rajar-2019-q2

Comment

Thank you very much ...... not much of a change for R3 then .....

Comment

Thank you very much ...... not much of a change for R3 then .....
            There is a slight increase, both on last month and (somewhat greater) on last year. I don't think access via third-party download facilities is included (how could it be?) There is not even a need to login to the Beeb to listen via that route.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              There is a slight increase, both on last month and (somewhat greater) on last year. I don't think access via third-party download facilities is included (how could it be?) There is not even a need to login to the Beeb to listen via that route.
              Agreed but ff always used to remind us to look at one result in isolation ........

Comment

Agreed but ff always used to remind us to look at one result in isolation ........
                And also at the age demographics, of course...

Comment

Should we not acknowledge that Classic FM has increased its popularity in the last quarter, partly by breathing new life into Presenters deemed past their best by the BBC , e.g. Moira Stuart?

What's the moral? Possibly, that building on one's established audience base is more facile than throwing the (old) baby out with the bath-water.

Comment

As a helper has pointed out this should read “ff used to remind us NEVER to look at one result in isolation .... “ - try to avoid babysitting wild grandchildren .......

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                      Should we not acknowledge that Classic FM has increased its popularity in the last quarter, partly by breathing new life into Presenters deemed past their best by the BBC , e.g. Moira Stuart?

What's the moral? Possibly, that building on one's established audience base is more facile than throwing the (old) baby out with the bath-water.
                      The moral is possibly that the name of the presenter is at least as important as, or more important than, the musical content of the programme.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                        The moral is possibly that the name of the presenter is at least as important as, or more important than, the musical content of the programme.
                        I have not listened to CFM for a very long time, the dynamic compression causing me far too much ennui. What is the style of Moira Stuart's presentation? Could that have something to do with the relative popularity of the programmes she presides over?

Comment

I came across this analysis of the latest figures by Accident

"Although, year-on-year, there was an increase of 120k Weekly Listeners on Average (WLoA), from ‘low’ to ‘lowish average’, most of that increase is accounted for by a mammoth rise in Breakfast listening – up by 107k WLoA (636k to 743k). Were those ‘additional’ – unlikely to be all new-to R3 – listeners only listening to Breakfast, or perhaps to a bit of Breakfast and a bit of Essential Classics? Or were they listening to a wide range of programmes, from Composer of the Week, the lunchtime and evening concerts, The New Music Show? We don’t know.

What we do know is that the average time spent listening also went up year-on-year – from 6 hours per week to 6.5 hours per listener. That is the equivalent of every listener (i.e. all of the 2m+) listening to Breakfast for an extra 6 minutes per day, Monday-Friday.

“Statistically, the idea that all Radio 3 listeners:- a) listen to Breakfast in the first place and b) that every one of them increased their Breakfast listening to the programme by that 6 minutes is a non-starter as an explanation. What does seem a reasonable hypothesis is to link/connect the three significant leaps this quarter: station reach (up by 120k) + Breakfast reach (up by 107k) + average listening (up by 30 mins per week). So 2 ½ hours of Breakfast, followed by 3 hours of Essential Classics provide ample and convenient space for an extra slab of listening per day and seem more likely to have occurred than that a large chunk of the 107k listeners tuned in purely to hear 30 mins of This Classical Life or Classical Fix."

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            I have not listened to CFM for a very long time, the dynamic compression causing me far too much ennui. What is the style of Moira Stuart's presentation? Could that have something to do with the relative popularity of the programmes she presides over?
                            Sorry, can't help you - our very occasional forays into CFM Land don't include Moira Stuart, whom we never rated as a news reader, and are therefore likely to join in her new job!

Comment

Has anyone heard a R3 figure ..... I presume Petroc has picked up most of what Zoe Ball has lost ..... ????

Comment

Has anyone heard a R3 figure ..... I presume Petroc has picked up most of what Zoe Ball has lost ..... ????
                                No major changes: 1,932,000 listeners per week, 6.6 hours per listener, market share 1.3%.

Comment

Working...
                                X