Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those anti-british protestors

Well, ironically, they are very the equivalent of the UK's BNP!

which ones ?
    and where ?

Comment

There was a fuss in Dublin this week, I think.

Comment

Those ?
        I'm still not sure who this refers to though ?
        a bit like starting a senta............................................. .. ing it

Comment

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
          Well, ironically, they are very the equivalent of the UK's BNP!
          If this does relate to any demonstrations in Dublin, it only goes to show how s----d the OP is, & how historically unaware he (she?) is. And that's the only comment I shall make on this thread.

Comment

I'm at a loss to know what it relates to ?
            pork pie
            apple
            yesterday
            sentence
            logic
            apricot
            gearbox

what do you think ?????

Comment

For your information, MrGongGong.
              In Dublin, a protest against the Queen's visit to Ireland descends into violence as demonstrators riot and aim fireworks at police.

Several people have been arrested after rioting involving members of the 32 County Sovereignty Committee (32 CSM) and Irish police in Dublin.

Comment

is that what this is about ?
                or a guess ?

Comment

Just a stab in the dark, Mr GongGong. I might have missed all the other anti-British protests that are currently taking place.

Comment

Well, knowing SHB's background, it seems a reasonable guess.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Surely it's perfectly clear, unless you're a 9 year old Guardian reader , that SHB is referring to the Republican demonstrations against the Queen's State Visit to Ireland. And he makes a perfectly valid point- that these protesters represent the political extreme in Ireland just as the BNP supposedly represent the political extreme in Britain.

Needless to say, Flossie and Mr. GG have responded in their usual juvenile and patronising manner whenever they're faced with an argument that conflicts with their liberal sensibilities.

Personally, I've found this whole sackcloth and ashes guilt trip by The Queen distinctly unpalatable. When I see the IRA leadership laying wreaths in Warrington, Harrods, Omagh, Warrenpoint, or at the Regent's Park Bandstand, then I might feel there was some point to the exercise. But I won't be holding my breath.
                      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

But dear mr P
                        there was NO explanation of what this was meant to be about
                        the history of The British in Ireland is not something we should be proud of
                        which you (in your usual inability to see things as more nuanced than "with us or against us") will take to mean that I am suggesting that the Omagh bomb was a good idea

also WHERE IS THE ARGUMENT that you refer to ?
                        all I read was a statement without reference

2/10 see me after class

also what IS impressive about Adams and McGuiness is that they have the guts to admit to past mistakes and make an effort to bring peace (and work with their previously sworn enemies ) which is something that successive British Governments seem unable to do.............

Comment

Mr Pee's parallel between Irish nationalism and the BNP is stretching things a bit far! For one thing, Irish nationalism holds that Britain's interference in and division of Ireland has prevented national self-determination for the Irish people as a whole. The United Kingdom, on the other hand, has enjoyed national self-determination for........rather a long time.

There are lots of other things one could add: the BNP being self-confessedly racist, for one.

S-A

Comment

Well, apparently, just as with the editors of Newsnight, some people are unaware of the fact that the Queen, after aeons on the throne is making, probably, THE most remarkable State Visit of her reign, to Ireland.

She, symptomically and symbolically has been a sort of figurehead for a most dysfunctional relationship between two countries. Atrocities have been committed in her name and that of her predecessors, while reprisals have been visited upon her subjects, and indeed on her own family.

Yet, she's there extending a gloved hand and finding a ready grasp. History in the making.

Now, back to my first post ... there remain the ardent, so called Republican, dissidents for whom 'anti West Britism' is a kind of vile sport. Rather akin to those that might enjoying pitching cockerels, one against another, in a bloody and violent confrontation.

They claim to fight a noble fight, but ultimately I would have to wonder. As with the BNP, once they had made their world wholly white, what would they do next?

They haven't a clue, and likewise, the protestors in Dublin haven't a clue as to what they'd do, once they'd 'kicked the Brits out'.

When even Ian Paisley can say 'there's a time for war, a time for peace', you really have to say to these protestors ... you are yesterday's men, you are the dinosaur cry of a vanished species.
                            Last edited by Stillhomewardbound; 18-05-11, 23:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
                              As with the BNP, once they had made their world wholly white, what would they do next?
                              Turn green?

Comment

Working...
                              X