Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Granville Bantock: Sappho

I can't recall exactly when I stumbled on Bantock's Sappho - I seem to think extracts might have been played on CoTW in recent years - but I do remember an interview that Lewis Foreman gave explaining that he had been at a very rare performance of this work (possibly Vernon Handley conducting) and was knocked off his feet by the sumpiousness and power of it.
    Well, I have discovered that there is now a complete - in one play - Sappho on Youtube. Those who may not have come across it before may wish to give it a try:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

thanks Bax-of-Delights, a nice supplement to the Hyperion CD of Bantock's Sapphic works

Comment

i think Charlie higson chose an excerpt(overture?) from this on his comedy classics spot. which goes to show that the whole idea of CC wasn't totally misguided. pretty misguided, but not totally !!
      anyway, good stuff it is.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

People should buy Vernon Handley's recording of Sapho!!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
        X