X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Arts in the UK post-Brexit

Lebrecht is reporting the departure of one of our brightest young conductors, George Jackson, off to Wiesbaden, citing Brexit as the reason. (He is also mentioned here.) We have lost Martin Roth from the V and A for the same reasons. How grateful must Tristram Hunt have been for such an opportunity to get out of politics in a country where members of the "liberal elite" are regularly vilified by Brexiters and the popular press as the cause of our problems.

My wife is German and since we got married and moved to England in 1976 she has been happy to have a British passport and be a European citizen. In future she will need a visa to visit her own homeland. In October we went to the German Embassy to obtain a German passport for her. They were most apologetic about the queues and long delays in processing applications. They said they were geared up to handling 20 -30 applications per year and they were getting that number daily. (We still have not heard back). A young couple in front of us in the queue (German mother, Welsh father) were just getting German passports for their two young sons.

Brexit England is a less likeable and welcoming place than it used to be for many and I suspect we will go on losing good people ... but at least we have a good friend in the White House.
  • Richard Barrett
    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
    In future she will need a visa to visit her own homeland
    Surely the idea that UK citizens will need a visa for Germany is worst-case speculation rather than based on any actual announcements? At present Germany doesn't require visas from non-EU European citizens.

Comment

• Pianorak
      • Nov 2010

My wife is German and since we got married and moved to England in 1976 she has been happy to have a British passport and be a European citizen. In future she will need a visa to visit her own homeland. In October we went to the German Embassy to obtain a German passport for her. They were most apologetic about the queues and long delays in processing applications. . .
      Interesting. A German friend of mine was apparently told by the German embassy that she had to relinquish her German passport when she applied for British citizenship in the sixties. Was that a misunderstanding or has German legislation on dual nationality been changed since then?
      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

People who blame Brexit ( in the media) for their departure are a self selecting group, though.

I bet the EU footballers all stay, as long as our clubs pay more than the Bundesliga , or the Italian or Spanish leagues.( Although of course in theory one day they could face the same restrictions as non EU players, ie they have to be able to play a bit )

( I have no interest whatsoever in making life more difficult for those choosing to move between UK and Germany , as my daughter lives and works in Berlin, with her german boyfriend.)
        Last edited by teamsaint; 27-01-17, 13:35.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

I guess many people who have an option will try this. I spoke to my mum last year about the technicalities of her British citizenship as I want to get my grubby mitts on an Italian passport. Very naively, she replied that my sister had asked the same questions a few days before me, not knowing why here children were now interested in the detail of this!! My brother’s an American citizen, so he’ll be alright anyway because we have a special relationship with the US.

All these people moving to Scotland (including one forum member, I believe), and those of us with proper European blood coursing through our veins, scrambling to get our mother country passports, is a bit premature, isn’t it?

George Jackson and Martin Roth leave, I would argue, as a protest about Brexit (or some other reason) rather than Brexit, per se. An unpleasant snub to their fans and customers, in my view. I invite you to make your own mind up about the reasons for the failure of Jamie Oliver’s restaurants.

It seems that Britain is a much more likeable place, judging by what I hear from many Europeans and Americans, and remains a very welcoming place for workers, visitors, asylum seekers, students, tourists and people who want to come here and invest. Net migration continues to increase and will not abate, just because of Brexit.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Brexit England is a less likeable and welcoming place than it used to be for many and I suspect we will go on losing good people ....
            Sad but true i'm afraid

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              People who blame Brexit ( in the media) for their departure are a self selecting group, though.

I bet the EU footballers all stay, as long as our clubs pay more than the Bundesliga , or the Italian or Spanish leagues.( Although of course in theory one day they could face the same restrictions as non EU players, ie they have to be able to play a bit )

They’re going nowhere matey!!!!

Brexit will have no impact on whether people leave or stay.

Comment

• gradus
                • Nov 2010

Better perhaps to stay and try to improve things.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

They’re going nowhere matey!!!!
                  Brexit will have no impact on whether people leave or stay.
                  Apart from Nigel Farage, you mean?
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                    Exactly the reason why I voted Remain!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by gradus View Post

Of course, that’s what the 'genuine' people will do, IMV.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        Exactly the reason why I voted Remain!
                        Same here, except I voted BREXIT.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

It seems that Britain is a much more likeable place, judging by what I hear from many Europeans and Americans, and remains a very welcoming place for workers, visitors, asylum seekers, students, tourists and people who want to come here and invest.
                          As long as you discount the rising hate crime, the animosity felt by Polish residents, the prevailing toxic atmosphere in public and private debate and don't live in Bournemouth. England is even an even greater place for foreigners to visit due to the collapse of our currency againt Euro and Dollar

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Of course, that’s what the 'genuine' people will do, IMV.
                            Hard if you don't get the funding to enable you to stay, though.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Many of us who work in music have already experienced the start of the detrimental effects of this nonsense with the cancellation of projects and collaborations

Comment

Working...
                              X