• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conchis
    Banned
    • Jun 2014

Dusseldorf

I shall be going there on Thursday for a few days. Some good stuff on at the opera. Just wondering if there's anything else forumites know of that's worth taking in?
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I saw an excellent production of Aida in Düsseldorf when I was visiting an old friend who lived in nearby Duisburg for many years.

I can't really recommend Duisburg for a day trip as it was bombed almost to extinction and is now a largely featureless creation of the 60s. But there is lots of the work of Joseph Beuys in the art gallery - he was educated at the the ‎ Düsseldorf‎ Kunstakademie so I expect there's even more of his work there.

Duisburg does* also boast a piece of public art which often features on lists of the world's ugliest:

* Just in case you thought it didn't.

Comment

• Conchis
      Banned
      • Jun 2014

Thanks, Jean. I intend to go to the opera (Butterfly and Zauberflote are programmed) and hopefully will go to the theatre at Moers.

Wasn't sure about Duisberg but I think I'll give it a miss, based on what you say!

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Quite a few years ago we stayed with my wife's cousin in their flat on the east bank of the Rhine with views of the river. No concert or opera going took place, I'm afraid, but I would recommend sampling the local beer - Düsseldorfer Alt - more like our ale than the more usual Pils.

Comment

• Conchis
          Banned
          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          Quite a few years ago we stayed with my wife's cousin in their flat on the east bank of the Rhine with views of the river. No concert or opera going took place, I'm afraid, but I would recommend sampling the local beer - Düsseldorfer Alt - more like our ale than the more usual Pils.
          Will have a go with it - always love to check out the German beers.

Comment

Working...
          X