• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Jeanne Moreau (1928-2017)

The screen icon appeared in films like Jules et Jim, Moderato Cantabile and Viva Maria!.

I am listening to this now…. RIP
    Jules Et Jim (突然炎のごとく)Release date(s) 1961Directed by Francois TruffautMusic by Jeanne Moreau
  • Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
    I love that song. At least two people have chosen it on Private Passions - Mike Leigh, and a female guest..... The heavenly Jeanne Moreau the epitome of Frenchness - reminds me of watching black and white French films through a haze of cigarette smoke in the Scala, Walton Street.....though the first time I saw her, in the Odeon Leicester Square, was in The Yellow Rolls Royce, in 1964

RIP

Comment

• edashtav
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
      The heavenly Jeanne Moreau the epitome of Frenchness

RIP
      But, not just French: this great actress is an example for all Lancashire Lasses!

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Serendipity at work again. I heard about the sad death of Jeanne Moreau, yesterday, as I'd e-mailed a friend, a few days ago, mentioning that I'd recent completed a DVD transfer from an off-air video of "Les Amants" (1959) and recalled the time when we saw it at the Academy Cinema, Oxford Circus, early 60s, and the impact of the film at the time. It still looks splendid in a monochrome print although Louis Malle's film is now dated but it was my intro to the stylish presence of Mm Moreau - class with a capital K - with many years ahead catching up with her early films at the Everyman, Hampstead, the right setting for her work! Jules et Jim (1961) was always the favourite but a romp like Viva Maria (1965), camping it up with Bardot, also a frivolous treat. She always fascinated and registered with me as the Bette Davis of French cinema. Married twice, including director Wm Friedkin and had liaisons with Louis Malle, Lee Marvin and Pierre Cardin! Friedkin later wrote, "Jeanne's heart is like an enormous room that is always cold: a man comes in, lights a fire, the flames swallow everything and then die down. When there are only ashes left, she shivers: she knows you cannot bring the cinders back to life, you have to light another fire, and she is always looking for a man who will not let the fire die down."

Thank you, Jeanne, for many years of pleasure in the dark. RIP

Comment

• Lancashire Lass
          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
          But, not just French: this great actress is an example for all Lancashire Lasses!
          I was so proud when I found out her mother came from Oldham. Just goes to show that talent, charisma, sex appeal etc. know no geographical boundaries :-)

Comment

Working...
          X