Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robert Hardy RIP

Star’s 70-year career included roles as Cornelius Fudge, Churchill, and Siegfried Farnon in All Creatures Great and Small

Much-loved actor who enjoyed a long career on the stage and television.

So much to remember him for.

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...ter-actor-dies

Much-loved actor who enjoyed a long career on the stage and television.

So much to remember him for.
    Indeed so, Mogul just one. Another great actor gone. RIP Robert

Comment

I particularly liked his portrayal of Archdeacon Haynes in the BBC's adaptation of M R James' The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral and of John Garrard in Michael Frayn's Make and Break. He was also a wonderfully reptilian Charles Augustus Milverton in the ITV series with Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes.

RIP

Comment

A talented actor! I gained a lot of pleasure from his performances especially as Siegfried in ACG&S

RIP

Comment

... and I recall his Grandcourt in the 1970 tv adaptation of Daniel Deronda

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
            A talented actor! I gained a lot of pleasure from his performances especially as Siegfried in ACG&S

RIP
            Indeed, Stan. Likewise. A very good innings though! RIP
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Very happy memories, watching the Herriot stories brought to life with the children before bedtime on Sunday evening, before the start of a busy week, and after a busy weekend......
              And always engaging whatever character he played over the years.

Comment

Well regarded in the field of traditional archery as well.

Comment

He did tend to be typecast as a Siegfried character in the Harry Potter films and even in Sense and Sensibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    He did tend to be typecast as a Siegfried character in the Harry Potter films and even in Sense and Sensibility.
                    Yes, I think that that's true - but from that particular type, he could bring a wide variety of "shades", which revealed depths within each character that most other actors would have overlooked. I don't think - to give an example - that many other actors could have quite communicated the disintegration of Cornelius Fudge (such a two-dimensional stereotype on paper) with so "simple" a slackening of jowls that Hardy achieved in so brief a moment.

And, in addition to those other roles mentioned, I'd add the sheer malicious joy with which he seemed to be playing the dual role of "Twiggy" Rathbone and Russell Spam in the Murdoch parody Hot Metal in the late '80s on Channel 4.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                    X