X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Camera lens cleaning help

My "trusty" Canon bridge camera (20x zoom) has been playing up more and more recently with frequent lens errors and failures to take shots or focus properly. I suspect that the dirt on the lens doesn't help. I think I need a liquid cleaner plus a suitably soft cloth to minimise potential damage to the lens and its coating. I think a fine microfibre cloth would work, but what liquid should I use?
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    My "trusty" Canon bridge camera (20x zoom) has been playing up more and more recently with frequent lens errors and failures to take shots or focus properly. I suspect that the dirt on the lens doesn't help. I think I need a liquid cleaner plus a suitably soft cloth to minimise potential damage to the lens and its coating. I think a fine microfibre cloth would work, but what liquid should I use?
    I'm no expert but would have thought that any decent spectacle cleaner should do the trick.
    Last edited by ahinton; 29-08-17, 12:51.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Some useful advice and warnings here.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Some useful advice and warnings here.
        Thanks for that one. This link from that page was also interesting (but not directly relevant ...) - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...-solar-eclipse

Comment

• johnb
          • Mar 2007

For general dust I use a bulb blower (NOT an aerosol of compressed air) and a carbon fibre brush for lenses.

For marks etc I use Purosol Lens Cleaner and PEC PAD Non Abrasive Wipes (but get all the dust off first).

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

I suppose a slightly related question might be "how long (many years) is it reasonable to keep a modern camera for?". I do use mine quite a lot, and cleaning and maintenance might just not be economic.

Cleaning yes - anything else perhaps not.

Comment

Working...
            X