• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Benjamin Whitrow, 1937-2017

Rather stricken to suddenly see a photograph of actor, Benjamin Whitrow
    followed by an obituary in the Sunday Times, (8 Oct), under the apt heading of Last Words.
    The passing years suddenly rushed-in and for the past few days my mind has focussed on the years 1963/1964 when I shared a dressing room with Ben at Harrogate Theatre in the world of weekly rep, and its exhausting ritual of 18 hours working days - par for the course! We were
    young ambitious actors and Ben was also stretching his wings as Asst Director with occasional productions - in later years he also taught 'technique' at the RADA where he also graduated in the 50s, along with O'Toole, Finney and Courtenay. At Harrogate our repertoire consisted of Shakespeare, Chekhov, Sheridan, Inonesco, Coward, Rattigan; all in the learning curve of weekly rep it was essential to understand that the time factor of six days rehearsal
    and the need to formulate only the bones of any role until, say, a midweek matinee when you began to add flesh to the bones with only three performance days left. A nightmare scenario but the only way to keep a sense of sanity. We also had the sense to develop a dressing room empathy and recognise when periods of silence were important. Ben was essentially a lightweight actor and his work in the Aldwych farces, Tons of Money etc, always reminded me of the great Ralph Lynn with his instinctive timing, monocled face and limp hands manipulating
    a teacup and saucer could be hilarious. Comedy/farce is always a serious business at best!
    Equally, he could play with finesse in Chekhov.

Ben was quickly head-hunted by the NT and RSC and established a national reputation. In the interim, it was a pleasure to work with him when he engaged me to join Colchester Theatre where he was Asst Director. I recall many of his performances at the RNT, particularly in the David Hare trilogy and we've always kept in-touch. Bless you, dear friend. RIP.
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

It was sad to read of his death after a fall at home I think I read .

In the famous BBC Pride and Prejudice from 1995 he was to me the star of the whole thing - I could not imagine Mr Bennett being played more faithfully to Austen's character or more amusingly and a welcome response to Alison Steadman's seriously over the top Mrs Bennett.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      In the famous BBC Pride and Prejudice from 1995 he was to me the star of the whole thing - I could not imagine Mr Bennett being played more faithfully to Austen's character or more amusingly and a welcome response to Alison Steadman's seriously over the top Mrs Bennett.
      Yes - exactly what I thought. A beautifully understated performance from BW - the range of the character's emotions and reactions perfectly conveyed.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pianorak
        • Nov 2010

Sorry to hear of Benjamin Whitrow's death. He was indeed unforgettable as Mr Bennett in The BBC Pride and Prejudice. I also enjoyed his performance as Russell in After Henry on BBC Radio, episodes 4 to 8 are still available on iPlayer.

Simon Brett's comedy about three generations of women - struggling to cope after the death of Sarah's GP husband - who never quite manage to see eye to eye.
        Starring Prunella Scales as Sarah, Joan Sanderson as Eleanor, Benjamin Whitrow as Russell, Gerry Cowper as Clare, Richard Davies as Leo Dolan and Ellen McIntosh as Gwen.

My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Agree with all the above, a very fine, understated actor - sad news. Saw him a few times at the RSC, most memorably bringing something moving to the not especially prominent role of Camillo in the wonderful 1992 Winter's Tale which I had to go and see three times...

"...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Arnold Bax
            • Sep 2017

I was shocked and saddened at the news of Benjamin Whitrow's death: he was one of my favourite actors, although I regret I never saw him live. He was the essential Mr Bennett to Alison Steadman's over the top acting as his wife in the BBC production of 'Pride and Prejudice' (1985) which I still cherish: of course I love Donald Sutherland (JFK etc) but I reckon he was completely miscast as the master of the house: Ben will always be the best actor in that role.

RIP Benjamin
            Last edited by Arnold Bax; 11-10-17, 21:10.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Yes, I agree that Alison Steadman was OTT as Mrs Bennett. I recall discussing this aspect
              with Ben - we both lived in SW19 - when the production was aired. I made a diary note of his interesting response. "Jane Austen's view was that Mrs Bennett was a woman of mean understanding, little information and uncertain temper".

Strange that I'm still preoccupied with the news of Ben's death and the memories are beginning to crowd -in with affection and much of his droll humour.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
                Yes, I agree that Alison Steadman was OTT as Mrs Bennett. I recall discussing this aspect
                with Ben - we both lived in SW19 - when the production was aired. I made a diary note of his interesting response. "Jane Austen's view was that Mrs Bennett was a woman of mean understanding, little information and uncertain temper".

Strange that I'm still preoccupied with the news of Ben's death and the memories are beginning to crowd -in with affection and much of his droll humour.
                Thanks for this, Stanley. (It always struck me that AS was playing a Dickens character, rather than an Austen.)
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

He was really wonderful as Mr Bennett, and made so many of those lines simply unforgettable.

"I am heartily ashamed of myself, Lizzy. But don't despair, it'll pass; and no doubt more quickly than it should," for example, lines which hereabouts have passed into household lingo.

Alison Steadman was way over the top, but I don't tire of her performance, and it provided a great foil for the other actors to play against.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                  X