X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Schumann biography - suggestion wanted

I will be most grateful if anyone can recommend a biography of Robert Schumann that is readily available? I have the biography by Ronald Taylor but I feel it is too limited.
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Two fairly recent to try are, John Daverio's Robert Schumann pub OUP and Eric Frederick Jensen's Schumann, OUP again.
    Joan Chissell's Schumann in the Dent Master Musicians series is worth reading, as are The Memoirs of Eugenie Schumann. Happy hunting.

Comment

• Pianorak
      • Nov 2010

There is also Alan Walker's Schumann (Faber & Faber). Walker mentions: One of the most informative books on Schumann ever to appear is by Frederick Niecks: Robert Schumann, a Supplementary and Corrective Biography. Although it was written in 1924, and is not free from error, it remains a foundation-work on the composer. . . Undoubtedly, the most monumental book in the Schumann literature is Berthold Litzmann's Clara Schumann: An Artist's Life which appeared during the years 1902-8 in three volumes. Litzmann had access to the Schumann Diaries, and to a vast amount of unpublished correspondence. The central character is Clara, but for much of the time Schumann himself dominates these pages.
      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Thanks for those suggestions.

Comment

• beakon

A couple of years ago I read John Worthen's 'Schumann - the Life and Death of a Musician' which I found fascinating - one of those books one just can't put down. In my opinion, of course - others may differ!

Comment

Working...
          X