Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Johnny Hallyday 1943-2017

Johnny Hallyday, the French Elvis has died. The best known gallic rock'n'roller over the years. Repose en Paix Johnny.

I remember Paris being plastered with posters for Johnny Hallyday at Olympia when I was there in 1967. For the non-Francophone world, destined to remain one of life's imponderables (the language, probably - the smooth edges just don't suit le rock 'n' roll). Nice to see Carla and Brigitte clapping along at the service

Comment

Had he changed his name again, to Billy, he would no doubt have made it to popularity this side of La Manche.

I remember first coming across him while on a school exchange holiday in Provence, in 1962, and remarking to myself on his hairstyle, which, in eschewing the then still fashionable Teddy Boy quiff, sideburns and DA in favour of a fringe, was ahead of the Beatles and others of the time, though in other respects he remained a leather-clad, ton-up Rocker.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
        I remember Paris being plastered with posters for Johnny Hallyday at Olympia when I was there in 1967. For the non-Francophone world, destined to remain one of life's imponderables (the language, probably - the smooth edges just don't suit le rock 'n' roll). Nice to see Carla and Brigitte clapping along at the service

There are some additional comments on the French thread in World Music along not dissimilar lines.

The turnout for his farewell was extraordinary!

RIP Johnny H.

Comment

Working...
        X