No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understatement of the year?

"I'm kind of from a classical background..."

Hard to think of someone who could be more from a classical background than Mr Mullov-Abbado! A jazz talent in his own right, clearly...

Both parents visible in his face!
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Brought up in the UK, I presume from the accent? (Good name to have if you want to be taken notice of in the music world! Especially R3.)

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    "I'm kind of from a classical background..."

Hard to think of someone who could be more from a classical background than Mr Mullov-Abbado! A jazz talent in his own right, clearly...

Both parents visible in his face!
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

He could almost be William's brother.

Why is he a Mullov rather than a Mullova like his mother?

Is that part of his name without an "a" for linguistic gender reasons or just a style option?

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post

Is that part of his name without an "a" for linguistic gender reasons
        Yes - cf Karenin/Karenina

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
          He could almost be William's brother.
          Is that part of his name without an "a" for linguistic gender reasons or just a style option?
          I think (and I may be getting all this muddled with middle name suffixes) "_ov" denotes "son of", and (as, you suggest, adding the final "a" [and, often, "na"] denotes "daughter of"). So a sister of someone with the surname "Ivanov" would have the surname "Ivanovna" or "Ivanova".
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            I think (and I may be getting all this muddled with middle name suffixes) "_ov" denotes "son of", and (as, you suggest, adding the final "a" [and, often, "na"] denotes "daughter of"). So a sister of someone with the surname "Ivanov" would have the surname "Ivanovna" or "Ivanova".
            Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
            Ah.....thank you.

(Google has the name with an "a" so he will need to correct it)

(I didn't watch the entire interview and am assuming that Matt Barley has been something of an influence in the jazzier strand of him)

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
              - of course!

Besides, "Mullova-Abbado" would be a bit tricky with the "a-A" juxtaposition.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

... we find it odd that our proper names can receive suffixes. When I was posted to Poland it tickled me to see telexes and such referring to hotel bookings on my behalf that referred to (as it were) 'vinteuilego'

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... we find it odd that our proper names can receive suffixes. When I was posted to Poland it tickled me to see telexes and such referring to hotel bookings on my behalf that referred to (as it were) 'vinteuilego'

Being met by taxi at Madrid airport, en route to a conference the other side of town, the driver held up a placard with my first and second given names (lifted from the conference documentation, presumably), assuming my second name to be my patronymic, and my actual surname to be the surname of my mother and therefore surplus to requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    Which is a genitive. Giuseppa Verdiego used to amuse me when I listened to operas on Polish radio (two different declensions, two very different genitives).

Because we are so confused by Slavic gendered names, people often adopt the masculine form when they live in the West. Monica Lewinsky should have been Lewinska. And in the West, Sikh women often call themselves Singh instead of Kaur.

Comment

Working...
                    X