Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Law in Action - GDPR

It seems 1984 is shortly to arrive. Oh damn, it's already passed. Anyway, according to Law in Action today...

If a driverless car has a crash, who is responsible - the owner or the manufacturer?

...about 17 mins from start (ignore another distopian future with driverless cars)....the new General Data Protection Regulation is shortly to come into force. As I understand it, anybody or any organisation which holds any information whatsoever about anyone will have a legal obligation to inform everyone about what data they hold and give them the option to have it deleted. Erm. The word 'billions' comes to mind, but even that does not begin to cover the mind-blowing consequences. Just for starters, will this Forum have to contact all its members past and present? And what about all the cookies that allow (for instance) Amazon to know your shoe-size and holiday preferences?

You just have to sit down with a stiff whisky. You can't even light up a Hamlet to background Bach anymore.......

I have my own forecast. Lawyers getting even richer!

esp the weather forecast!

Comment

I don't know how this is supposed to work.

As secretary of a society, I am obliged by the terms of the constitution to inform all members of the date of the AGM. If they refuse to let me have their contact details, how do I discharge my obligation?

Comment

I take this to be "on request", but it certainly looks like open day for sociopathic troublemakers.

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
          I don't know how this is supposed to work.

As secretary of a society, I am obliged by the terms of the constitution to inform all members of the date of the AGM. If they refuse to let me have their contact details, how do I discharge my obligation?
          I'm assuming you already have those details in which case it's more a question of checking that the society is complying with its duties to protect those details?
          This link might be of use.

I have just started looking into this as I realised that none of the 4 small local charitable groups to which I belong(but am not involved in running) has given any indication that this has been considered - and the membership year for 2 of them ends on 31st March so really there should have been something by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            I take this to be "on request", but it certainly looks like open day for sociopathic troublemakers.
            And the usual unintended consequences - clobbering the outfits too small to mount a defence while big business goes its own self-serving way.

Comment

And the usual unintended consequences - clobbering the outfits too small to mount a defence while big business goes its own self-serving way.
              My thoughts exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                Just for starters, will this Forum have to contact all its members past and present?[/SIZE]
                I have a file (a real one, not an electronic one) marked Data Protection with one sheet of A4 in it reporting what I found out a few years back regarding FoR3 supporters, and it seemed then that we (they) were excluded (can't remember why). Just thinking, I think the only data we hold on forum members is an email address. Anything else supplied is already public on their profile pages or can be checked via the available forum tools (like past posts, threads started, when they joined &c). We have Google Analytics (details from the Cookies page on the sidebar menu), but they aren't tied to individuals' usage, just statistics. I could look up to see who is currently the top poster, but if anyone wanted to know, they can check how many times each of us has posted anyway.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

On the surface, this seems to involve unrealistic expectations about the capabilities of people to do what is required. I contrast it with Central Government which increasingly struggles to meet FOI deadlines, even while making use of derogations wherever possible, and in one very recent case I know took eight months to undertake vetting on a junior job applicant.

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                    On the surface, this seems to involve unrealistic expectations about the capabilities of people to do what is required. I contrast it with Central Government which increasingly struggles to meet FOI deadlines, even while making use of derogations wherever possible, and in one very recent case I know took eight months to undertake vetting on a junior job applicant.
                    In his autobiography, Tony Blair described the introduction of the FOI Act as his biggest mistake and the worst thing the Labour Government did during his period in office, which is pretty incredible when you think of the other actions taken during his premiership that might have been chosen. Of his own part in this, he said:

"You idiot. You naive, foolish, irresponsible nincompoop. There is really no description of stupidity, no matter how vivid, that is adequate. I quake at the imbecility of it."
                    "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                    Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Working...
                    X