Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ripping audio tracks from DVD

I have several orchestral DVD's where I'd like to rip the audio and stream it in FLAC format - the Abbado/Mahler Lucerne recordings among others.

Additionally, I'd like to achieve similar from Blu-rays but only have a Sony Blu-ray player connected to a DAC Magic, no Blu-ray player on my PC.

Ripping CD's using Ripstation Micro and Mp3tag is a doddle, but DVD is, seemingly, a much tougher proposition.

Any advice as to how I can achieve stereo audio would be much appreciated (Windws 7, not Apple).

remdataram,

As long as FF is happy for this subject to be discussed here I will be very pleased to share some suggestions, for both DVD and Blu-Ray, that I have found very helpful. (I'm not sure of the legal niceties of the matter but know it is widely discussed in other forums.)

Comment

Johnb,

How naive of me! I really didn't stop to think about the obvious legal aspects of my request.

A purist would argue that what I do (copy my CD's to my computer hard drive so that I can listen to them via a Logitech Squeezebox) is illegal. Technically, it probably is illegal, but I'm only listening to my CD's via an additional interface.

My honest intention is to be able to listen to the audio tracks of my DVD's via the Squeezebox.

Perhaps FF can decide whether we can pursue this subject - I'm sure many members will be interested.

If we can't, life will still go on......

Thank you, Johnb.

Comment

I fully understand your intentions.

Watching a classical concert on DVD is often rewarding but it also makes concentrating on the music much harder, in my experience.

A PM is on its way.

Comment

I thought that proposed updatings of EU and UK copyright law would make copying to other formats for private use legal. Remember also that UK law allows you to do anything which isn't expressly illegal. My understanding is that is a different principle from some other jurisdictions. Legality is determined by Acts of Parliament and also by case law. Something which is of doubtful legality/illegaiity in the UK will remain so until either specific legislation is passed, or a case is brought which is significant enough to determine legality. This is perhaps why some things are never tested in the courts.
          Last edited by Dave2002; 29-06-11, 13:12.

Comment

Not for a Windows box, but for anyone using a Mac, I can recommend this program...

Wondershare UniConverter enables you to experience an ultra-high-speed video converter and compressor, designed to process 4K/8K HDR files.

It's available in the app store for around £20 at the moment.

There's also a Windows version...

Wondershare UniConverter enables you to experience an ultra-high-speed video converter and compressor, designed to process 4K/8K HDR files.

Both can rip DVD audio, but don't seem able to handle Blu-Ray disks.

Here's the technical page for the Windows version - FLAC is supported.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by remdataram View Post
              Perhaps FF can decide whether we can pursue this subject - I'm sure many members will be interested.
              I did confirm with johnb yesterday that discussion here is fine by me. Dave2002 has described what I think the situation is.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
              X