• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by BillMatters View Post
    It was 'arrows, sees Harrow, Cicero'. All to do with a dream and being on a train at Harrow. Frank also did the same phrase as 'our roses arose, is a rose Cicero's?'

My favourite Denis saying was Descartes 'I think, therefore, I am' . The Descartes had organised a late night party and the egg and bacon flan was about to be eaten, to stop this Descartes writes a message saying 'I think they're for 1 a.m.'.

Thanks so much for that, and welcome aboard. I wonder if the recordings are available, on CD or otherwise?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Thanks so much for that, and welcome aboard.

I wonder if the recordings are available, on CD or otherwise?
      There used to be a few double cassette tape collections of My Word programmes - but I can't find any CD transfers on Amazon.

My favourite of the elaborations was Norden's "The supine Californian mystic exports halitosis."
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BillMatters
        • Mar 2018

Thanks so much for that. I wonder if the recordings are available, on CD or otherwise?
        Some of the stories were put on audio cassette and these are usually available on an internet auction site. Similarly there are the books that have many more stories (Upon My Word, You Have My Word For it, Take My Word, etc.) These were later combined into one large volume.

The shows used to be broadcast on Australian and USA radio stations for years, but the BBC have stopped this. I believe some people actually recorded the shows off the radio.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by BillMatters View Post
          Some of the stories were put on audio cassette and these are usually available on an internet auction site. Similarly there are the books that have many more stories (Upon My Word, You Have My Word For it, Take My Word, etc.) These were later combined into one large volume.

The shows used to be broadcast on Australian and USA radio stations for years, but the BBC have stopped this. I believe some people actually recorded the shows off the radio.
          Would be good on R4Ex but I guess the tapes were all wiped!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            Would be good on R4Ex but I guess the tapes were all wiped!
            Not all of them - the cassettes were available on the BBC's commercial "Radio 4 Collection"; the same series as The Goons, Hancock, and Take It from Here (another Muir/Norden creation) all of which survived the "wiping" frenzy and which are available on CD.

The My Word cassettes possibly didn't reach the sales pf the others to merit CD release?
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Let's hope R4Ex broadcast at least some of the My Word recordings they can get their hands on, as a tribute.

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Let's hope R4Ex broadcast at least some of the My Word recordings they can get their hands on, as a tribute.
                Indeed - and wonderful to read posts here on this splendid man whose voice I must confess I'd not heard in years but am so glad to be reminded now!

RIP Denis Norden.

Comment

Working...
                X