Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    Fingers crossed the communication problem with the GP surgery has been sorted. When I went in today to make the appointment to discuss the blood results I mentioned not having got the message and asked if they could use my email instead. The nice young girl said that was fine(so something has evidently changed since I was refused that option in favour of the mobile number) and she has taken my mobile number off my records as well. Have had a verification/confirmation message so something has been recorded...
    Excellent news for you!

My in comparison minor problem of having had my Covid jab date changed on a phone call of unknown origin was solved this afternoon by having had it done as a result of my second booking to the same pharmacy. They had no record of anyone changing my original date, which was supposed to have been last Thursday, so with the pharmacist saying they would never ring to change a date, what on earth must have happened remains a complete mystery.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... I'm assuming you've gone down the usual routes? My wife's enjoyment of life was revolutionised by her discovery of almotriptans, which knock on the head the migraines from which she suffers

Thanks for this vinteuil, I've only been to the doctors twice about the migraines - once was about 12 years ago. They seem to cluster and be stress related or be connected to my vision changing. However, this particular cluster has been going on for months. I was prescribed Sumatriptin (probably spelt that wrong) and they knock me out and I feel awful the next day. I'm going to try and see the GP again but who knows where they'll be able to see me? I'll investigate the almotriptans and see what I can find. Thanks again.
      Best regards,
      Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Excellent news for you!

My in comparison minor problem of having had my Covid jab date changed on a phone call of unknown origin was solved this afternoon by having had it done as a result of my second booking to the same pharmacy. They had no record of anyone changing my original date, which was supposed to have been last Thursday, so with the pharmacist saying they would never ring to change a date, what on earth must have happened remains a complete mystery.
        I'm glad you managed to get your jab after all that confusion. As you say, something of a mystery, but also a slightly worrying one if the pharmacy didn't, in fact says it wouldn't, make such a call. Who got your number, how, and why?

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

I'm glad you managed to get your jab after all that confusion. As you say, something of a mystery, but also a slightly worrying one if the pharmacy didn't, in fact says it wouldn't, make such a call. Who got your number, how, and why?
          The nurse giving me the jab asked that very question. Unfortunately I had made no record, having assumed the call to be genuine.

Comment

'BBC Radio 3 Today's Schedule' lists the 11 pieces that will feature this afternoon between 1.00 and 4.00 p.m. but does not give timings.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
              'BBC Radio 3 Today's Schedule' lists the 11 pieces that will feature this afternoon between 1.00 and 4.00 p.m. but does not give timings.
              There used to be a BBC argument that for live programmes, like Breakfast, they didn't list the works in advance as they might need to be changed at the last minute - just as if listeners couldn't cope with changes after eg the announced death of Andrew Davis. Even with Classical Live only We Are At War or The King Has Died need prompt changes. No excuse then - but there may be (R3) 'reasons', like it will keep you listening for longer if you don't want to miss a particular item.

That said, it was a matter of interest to look up who 'Bristol's famous son' Cyril Rootham was. Always good to learn new things.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                Which is why I have entirely given up listening to the afternoon potpourri - with the exception of the Monday Wigmore Hall slot. Timings appearing on the schedule have been eroded over a considerable length of time, and the "3pm" slot of recent months was I suspect the last gasp. The schedule isn't even a complete list of works that will be played either so, as I grumbled in a previous post, any sort of guesstimate of when an item will be played based on knowledge of the pieces listed and the one fixed point, is a waste of time and effort now that even the one fixed point has gone.
                There have been items listed that, if they had appeared in a sensible fashion, I would have liked to listen to, but I'm not going to sit through hours of output on the off chance of hearing them.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

There used to be a BBC argument that for live programmes, like Breakfast, they didn't list the works in advance as they might need to be changed at the last minute - just as if listeners couldn't cope with changes after eg the announced death of Andrew Davis. Even with Classical Live only We Are At War or The King Has Died need prompt changes. No excuse then - but there may be (R3) 'reasons', like it will keep you listening for longer if you don't want to miss a particular item.

That said, it was a matter of interest to look up who 'Bristol's famous son' Cyril Rootham was. Always good to learn new things.
                  I've no doubt that is what they would like me to do, but I'm afraid that they'll be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

There is/was an argument in the US for broadcasts of pop music “hits” that publishing timings would allow audio copies to be made easily, so making audio “piracy” easier.

I don’t think that kind of argument really applies to much of R3’s output.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      There is/was an argument in the US for broadcasts of pop music “hits” that publishing timings would allow audio copies to be made easily, so making audio “piracy” easier.

And less and less as the programmes shift towards traditional Radio 2 (or Classic FM) fare.

Comment

In any case, it would no longer apply to R3 as you only have to wait a while to record them 'off air' from Sounds.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Bank statements - online banking .... Grrrr!

I had to make a payment to a family member recently - and in so doing I noticed another payment from a month or so back. Might just as well have been XYZ123 - some totally meaningless code - with no indication as to who or what was being paid.

This seems to be a hangover from previous banking practice - with very short codes, as at one time all the bank codes were only about 18 characters long.
                          I couldn't find any payee with the matching code - so what was it?

It's a Saturday - so turns out the telephone customer service is not available. In any case I don't like phoning the customer service as I nearly always get asked "stupid" questions, like what was my mother's birthday, and what was the PIN number. Since I hardly ever use the phone service - of course I haven't a clue!

I looked to see if it could be anything else - such as a standing order to a payee which has - for some reason - decided to change the its identification code to something else - but that doesn't seem to match, so probably not that.

How am I supposed to report suspected dodgy or fraudulent transactions at weekends - if there is no customer service?

As it happens I now have a hunch as to what the transaction was for - and it's probably legitimate - but banks and the almost complete withdrawal of any in-person service are not at all helpful.

I'll check next week - and report back - but really I find this kind of behaviour by banks really something to grumble about. If my hunch is right, this will sadly be ironic and amusing - but fits with the general indifference to service we seem to expect these days. If my hunch is wrong, then it would be less amusing - with a serious grumble about the lack of appropriate service availability when potential problems are noticed.

Comment

the general indifference to service we seem to expect these days.
                            Or rather, as far as I am concerned, are expected to expect, is my fear. More and more that the generation weaned on the myths promised of new technology reaches the age group only valued for its hard-won opinions for voting purposes, the more that younger generations ill-equipped to judge in what ways it is taking over everbody's lives practically and mentally make up the resulting conformist mass mindset.

Comment

This is what happens when faulty thinking leads a government to set up a job creation scheme of jobs to counteract the "unfortunate" post-Brexit consequences of global capitalism's evolved trading arrangements:

New checks introduced by the government are wreaking havoc on businesses. Importers say fees for Dover inspections are much higher than first thought and wil...

Comment

I guessed in advance that it would be a mistake for the UK to leave the EU. I tried to warn people, who were drunk on the 'take back control' mantra; I was laughed at. In the coming years we shall see more and more reasons why we should have stayed in the EU, not least because European unity will become nore vitally important.

Comment

Working...
                                X