Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Socially Distanced Thread

For those of us socially distancing ourselves because of, oh, that thing out there, a place to chat about things you are doing instead of what you might have been doing, were you not socially distancing yourself.

As OP I propose ground rules:

No direct references to The Thing Out There

No use of the C-word, not even with a******s

No politics, no politicians

No medical/social science theorising

No moaning about shortages, queues, others not properly socially distancing....

(There are other threads to do the above things)

Just stuff we’re doing, thinking about, reading, playing, spinning on the turntable….

It will evolve as it wishes....

So....
    I'm going to listen to lots of CDs I haven't put on in ages
    I'm going to find my clarinet and have another go at playing it
    I'm going to take some books - well, a lot of books - to Oxfam (sort of dump and run)
    Hmmm.....

Comment

I am going to improve my recorder playing - which is actually going less well than it normally does.
      We are watching The West Wing from DVD 1 - we have the 7 series box set. We've now watched the first two episodes.
      I may find time to play the piano.
      I may try flute again - but haven't really done well with that in the last few years.
      I am still trying to catch up with letters and stuff from before Christmas.
      I am trying to buy a fancy exercise bike - which wasn't prompted by recent events - been thinking about a particular one for months as recommended strongly by a friend. Now difficult to get hold of.
      I am trying to get more familiar with DAWs - such as Logic Pro X, Reaper.
      I am trying to run a photography group remotely, since we can't meet now. Will probably put on hold for the duration.
      I may actually play some CDs, though so far not going too well.

Will that do for starters? There's actually far too much to do.

I have put a notice on our back door - where deliveries usually come. The text reads, with minor edits:

[redacted word !] Social Distancing

We are trying to follow Government guidelines re Social Distancing

If you have a delivery and do not need a signature, please ring the bell and leave the item by the door.

Otherwise, leave a card and put the item in the [location] through the gate.

If we have arranged a scheduled delivery which we are expecting, we may have given you instructions for how and where to leave the items. We will not discuss this with you on the doorstep. We are trying to maintain social distancing measures.

If you can't leave an item, please leave a card, and we will arrange for collection later.

19th March, 2020

Comment

[redacted word !] Social Distancing

Your delivery person note a good idea - I just worry that these guys are often in such a hurry, because of the schedules they are set, that they might leave without reading it....

Your list of diversionary tasks sound admirable!

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
          So....
          I'm going to listen to lots of CDs I haven't put on in ages
          I'm going to find my clarinet and have another go at playing it
          I'm going to take some books - well, a lot of books - to Oxfam (sort of dump and run)
          Hmmm.....
          I think you may find all Oxfam shops are closed.

Comment

I've got lots of audio cassettes of poetry - this is an ideal opportunity to renew my acquaintance with them. I'm also going to re-read a selection of books, starting with Alistair Horne's Siege of Paris/Verdun/Fall of France trilogy. Currently proceeding at a stately pace through the abridged, single-volume biography of John Betjeman by Bevis Hillier. And there are countless musical treats lurking on YouTube and the websites of many fine orchestras. And I recently acquired a double box set of every episode of Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes series. Yesterday the World At One spoke to one listener who's going to digitize the 1871 census.
            Last edited by LMcD; 20-03-20, 09:42.

Comment

The vocal score of 54 of Finzi's songs, mentioned in the Musical Homeland thread, is due to arrive today, so I intend to buckle down and get to know them. I imagine that the accompaniments are rewarding to play, too, so I may well try my hand(s) at some of them. I might even launch a Finzi Song cycle thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                The vocal score of 54 of Finzi's songs, mentioned in the Musical Homeland thread, is due to arrive today, so I intend to buckle down and get to know them. I imagine that the accompaniments are rewarding to play, too, so I may well try my hand(s) at some of them.
                Good plan.

I've just dragged out a load of piano music that I played as a young person and I'm going to try and get it up to scratch again.
                'Muscular memory' is a funny thing. When you play, for the first time, something you committed to memory decades ago, you can make a reasonable fist of it, but then the rot sets in and you have to go back and memorise it systematically again. Anyone else experienced this?

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                  Good plan.

I've just dragged out a load of piano music that I played as a young person and I'm going to try and get it up to scratch again.
                  'Muscular memory' is a funny thing. When you play, for the first time, something you committed to memory decades ago, you can make a reasonable fist of it, but then the rot sets in and you have to go back and memorise it systematically again. Anyone else experienced this?
                  Yes! Hard to believe now that I passed my Grade 8!

Comment

Some similarities with post-retirement activities - how was there time to go to work!

Comment

I'm already learning one new language through Duolingo - some people seem to be doing about 25! It was ridiculously (insultingly!) easy at the start but after 50 days (I have a 50-day streak!) it repays slow, steady absorption of the new material.

I may make a systematic list of CDs not listened to for years and work my way through them. Then sort out the ones for Oxfam.

Potter round the garden, picking up leaves and twigs, again.

Comment

I retired last December and had plans for the year once the winter was over with an emphasis on attending concerts, race meetings and travel. All of that has now gone up in the air and the rest of the year (at least, I fear) looks set to be a permanent 'winter'. Other activities I had planned revolving around the aforementioned were to catch up on the dozens of CDs I've never played (for instance I have five recordings of Die Meistersinger as well as three Rings yet to audition!) and a mountain of books, many, particularly the more weighty volumes, specifically put to one side for post-retirement.

In addition a fellow Forum member has kindly been making available to me a huge stash of off air recordings and I still have dozens to catch up on.

I am by nature reasonably happy with my own company and am not particularly sociable. However, there are limits to what even I can tolerate and a lengthy period of solitary confinement is not what I bargained for in my first year of retirement!
                        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                          For those of us socially distancing ourselves because of, oh, that thing out there, a place to chat about things you are doing instead of what you might have been doing, were you not socially distancing yourself.

As OP I propose ground rules:

No direct references to The Thing Out There

No use of the C-word, not even with a******s

No politics, no politicians

No medical/social science theorising

No moaning about shortages, queues, others not properly socially distancing....

(There are other threads to do the above things)

Just stuff we’re doing, thinking about, reading, playing, spinning on the turntable….

It will evolve as it wishes....
                          What is a turntable?

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                            What is a turntable?
                            It's another name for a Lazy Susan.

Comment

The enormous Karajan box has found its time !

Actually right now, though I'm not in any of the SD groups, I might as well be, as business activity at the personal level seems to have closed down . Nonetheless, we are having to reorganise a years publishing, try to find ways to keep selling books, and consequently work is still keeping me really busy ATM. Please keep buying books !! Buying through Hive and supporting your local bookshop is a great option right now. Look out ( unashamed plug) for our big April title, which is a really important book by the inspirational Polly Higgins who sadly passed away last year. All profits to Stop Ecocide.

‘I know it may not yet look like it, but we are sowing the seeds of greatness for countless generations to come.That is the Great Work of our times. Yours and mine.’ This is a book ...

Info on Hive

Discover why the Hive.co.uk online book store is different & how you can support your local bookshop by shopping for books online with Hive.co.uk.

Otherwise: growing ( hopefully ) more fruit and veg than previously, ( small time stuff but enjoyable) , plenty of running ( got my 5K time tumbling nicely, knees holding up so far !) and it might be a classic summer for picnics, if the weather gives us a break.

Incidentally, Mrs TS works at a primary school, and Easter holidays are effectively cancelled.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                              X