Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The joys of subtitles

During today's Wigmore Hall programme 'the Carducci Quartet' came out as 'that car be cheap for tat'.
    One advantage of subtitles is that classical music that features in dramas is often identified, which is very welcome if I can't show off to the lady wife by immediately identifying the piece in question. Muffled dialogue and the 'other half' of telephone conversations are also shown on screen.

Some of the voice to text generators used by some live sites generate very odd and amusing phrases. I would expect an organisation like the BBC to be able to correct obvious subtitle errors - for example by manual corrections - but maybe they "can't get the staff these days"!

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      During today's Wigmore Hall programme 'the Carducci Quartet' came out as 'that car be cheap for tat'.
      That’s child’s play compared with the subtitler’s ignorance of Ms Panufnik:

Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 28-09-20, 19:10.
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Comment

One of my UK correspondents tells me that at one point the subtitles on the BBC TV news this morning recommended that people wishing to play their part in observing Remembrance Day download a puppy and place it in their window. This presumably requires a very advanced model of 3-D printer.

Comment

Pavel Kolesnikov was transformed into Pavel Kalashnikov at his recent Wigmore Hall recital.
            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
              Pavel Kolesnikov was transformed into Pavel Kalashnikov at his recent Wigmore Hall recital.
              Someone must have been gunning for him!

Comment

Many subtitles seem to be generated automatically nowadays by some form of speech recognition and transcription. The results sometimes are hilarious - as noticed. I really liked the Roxanna Panufnik one - but I've seen several similar others in some of the Zoom meetings and presentations we've been following during the last few months.

Comment

Originally posted by Boilk
                  Not exactly subtitles, but BBC Sounds tracklisting for Radio 6 Music's Halloween night Freakzone Playlist
                  listed a piece by an appropriately (mis)named female composer...

Wonderfully inappropriate!!!

I was thinking of All Hallows' Eve!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    Many subtitles seem to be generated automatically nowadays by some form of speech recognition and transcription. The results sometimes are hilarious - as noticed. I really liked the Roxanna Panufnik one - but I've seen several similar others in some of the Zoom meetings and presentations we've been following during the last few months.
                    Here is a recent Premiere by the real Roxanna Panufnik - https://youtu.be/dHfB4A22TmM

Comment

I always liked:-
                      'Much of Lincolnshire is shrouded in a dangerous dog'

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Oh my. I thought Wagner sounded erotic. Time to re-examine Panufnik oeuvre.

Comment

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
                          I always liked:-
                          'Much of Lincolnshire is shrouded in a dangerous dog'
                          That would be referring to Doggy Faye!

Comment

Working...
                          X