Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dangers to the BBC??

The veteran political interviewer on how his stroke has changed him, interviewing Boris Johnson and what he thinks of the rumours Charles Moore could be the corporation’s new chairman

I did wonder about the Moore/Dacre story: "When a story like this appears – unsourced, during a period of great political turmoil – you have to ask what the purpose is and where exactly it came from. I don’t know that, but that’s why I say I just have the slight smell in the water of a bait being trailed over our collective noses."

Deep waters, Watson.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Marr was clearly being very careful what he said in this interview, but that remark is a clear flag....

I hope that there will be some active resistance from listeners and viewers* to any attempts to break up the BBC. For all the faults that we like to complain about, it is a precious resource in our society, and delivers amazing quality. For example, anyone who has witnessed television in (say) the US will recognise the quality we enjoy.

A relatively unsung part of the BBC is the World Service, broadcasting a wonderful variety of news, comment and documentary programmes to the world - augmented by the language services. This seems to me to be one way - perhaps the last - in which soft British international influence may be felt.

*Edit: remember the campaign to keep longwave R4!

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        This seems to me to be one way - perhaps the last - in which soft British international influence may be felt.
        The reason why governments used to be glad to pay for it
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

World Service is of jewel status IMO

Comment

I am deeply opposed to the break-up of the BBC but am not sure how best to make my opposition count or even heard. I suppose an email to our MP is as good a start as any but is there a petition to parliament or similar that I've missed?

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
              I am deeply opposed to the break-up of the BBC but am not sure how best to make my opposition count or even heard. I suppose an email to our MP is as good a start as any but is there a petition to parliament or similar that I've missed?
              Google 'Save our BBC 38 degrees' for a live petition that currently has nearly 300,000 signatures.

Comment

Working...
              X