Donald Runnicles - Knight Bachelor

Joan Armatrading - CBE

John Mark Ainsley - OBE

Sally Beamish - OBE

Nicholas Daniel - OBE

Tony Hatch - OBE

Stephen Layton - MBE

Jennifer Pike - MBE

What’s a Knight Bachelor subs ....... ?????

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
      What’s a Knight Bachelor subs ....... ?????
      A Sir!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        A Sir!
        But not at all a chivalric one, apparently.

The British honours system seems even more complicated than our tax system, and that's saying something.

Comment

A Sir!
          Sir, but not in any of the Orders of Chivalry (Bath, Garter, British Empire, eyc.). Just your everyday knight.

As I posted this I noticed that Pulcinella had beaten me to it. Sorry...

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

The British honours system seems even more complicated than our tax system, and that's saying something.
            The tax system is designed to keep tax professionals in work, IMO.

The PAYE system , IMO, is( or was) a rather elegant system for the times it was designed for, but is now being run by way too few people at minimum cost, with the inevitable consequences.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

KB is a stupid title anyway as most of them are married!

It really is time that the whole honours system was scrapped.

Comment

Have they (i.e., those that award the honours) decided how husbands or male civil partners of knights (and the rest) should be styled?
                Though quite why they (or wives/female partners) should be considered part and parcel of any honour in the first place is another anomaly, as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

I used to think that too. Isn’t it a bit like the rewards in the Wizard of Oz?

Outright scrapping - could that work? If not, what would you replace it with?

On the other hand people could be recognised by being given a financial reward - maybe more pay for some. Trouble with that is it would probably cost a lot to reward some lower paid workers, and on the other hand some of the already benighted (beknighted) people are already rich enough.

If it were scrapped, a future government would probably bring it back, anyway. So, what’s your idea?

Comment

But why, cloughie? According to many of the Honours recipients, it is a humbling experience. Shouldn't there be even more Honours bestowed?

Comment

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                      But why, cloughie? According to many of the Honours recipients, it is a humbling experience. Shouldn't there be even more Honours bestowed?

Many “ honours “ are for time serving in government service. Many are party political.

It is a rotten system, and I don’t see any good reason not to scrap it .
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

"Many key workers have been awarded after playing a Keel Row in this year's coronovirus epidemic".

(Amazing how I manage to cheer myself up these days!)

Comment

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                          Just your everyday knight.

Enjoyed that, Pabs, thanks!
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                            Sir, but not in any of the Orders of Chivalry (Bath, Garter, British Empire, eyc.). Just your everyday knight.

As I posted this I noticed that Pulcinella had beaten me to it. Sorry...
                            Knight of the garter has a certain twang to it but Knight of the Bath sounds something of a washout, but Knight of the British Empire sounds somewhat passe.

Comment

Knight of the garter has a certain twang to it but Knight of the Bath sounds something of a washout, but Knight of the British Empire sounds somewhat passe.
                              :

I bet the Knights of the Bath are a right shower.

Comment

Working...
                              X