Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    There were a few comedians who used to play at one time, play a snatch or two to show they could and then stop and crack a few jokes. Ray, Benny, Jimmy Wheeler were three.

Robin's BBC obituary mentions Face the Music 1966-69, but not his Radio 3 programme 1975-79. Not unusual: they didn't mention it when R3 won the Sony UK Station of the Year - a bit of a blow for them as they preferred R1, R2 or R4 to win as they made more of a 'story'.

PS I think they did mention it, but not in the usual spot of opening paragraph. Just an afterthought.
    Vick Oliver was another I remember. Compere of Radio's Variety Playhouse in the 50s - I remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post

Re Michael Ponti, I think I read somewhere that he had a stroke a few years back and lost the use of his right arm. He recorded prolifically for Vox (amongst others) and there were a lot of UK releases on Turnabout, including the complete Tchaikovsky piano music which has been released on CD and is well worth exploring.
      I've just followed this up on Wiki not knowing much about Michael Ponti, only recently having acquired some of his recordings. The stroke was in the late 90s when he would have been only about 60. I got a very cheap download of lesser known Romantic Piano Concertos mostly licensed from Turnabout by Brilliant Classics

I well remember Robin Ray's father, Ted, a very quick-witted radio comedian in the 5Os. I believe he could summon up a joke on any subject someone named.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
        I well remember Robin Ray's father, Ted, a very quick-witted radio comedian in the 5Os. I believe he could summon up a joke on any subject someone named.
        Ted Ray was also one of the early Carry On films, gurney, 'Carry On Teacher'. Ted Ray's birth name was Charles Olden and Robin was born Robin Olden, but seems to have followed his Dad's stage name.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          I've just followed this up on Wiki not knowing much about Michael Ponti, only recently having acquired some of his recordings. The stroke was in the late 90s when he would have been only about 60. I got a very cheap download of lesser known Romantic Piano Concertos mostly licensed from Turnabout by Brilliant Classics

...and a great panellist on this.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your very helpful comments and memories. Yes, this was a Saturday lunchtime staple for me too, and I was very pleased when I discovered not only what the 'theme music' was, but that the movement selected from the Francaix was the one corresponding to midday! That and the Respighi music used for the programme Homeward Bound are still very much a Pavlovian memory back to my teens.

Comment

Working...
            X