X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Saturn, Jupiter and Moon tonight

Just noticed that the moon, and Saturn and Jupiter are grouped together fairly low in the sky tonight. If nothing else, this shows that Saturn is visible with the naked eye. Quite often it's rather faint.
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Thanks!
    Certainly visible here, in a clear (cold and frosty night ahead?) sky.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Glad to have helped.

Shame is it's clouded over now, so my thoughts of waiting a while before taking a photo have come to naught, after all. There is, I suppose, a slight chance that the clouds will dissipate later, before the moon goes down.

Others might have/(have had) more luck.

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        Just noticed that the moon, and Saturn and Jupiter are grouped together fairly low in the sky tonight. If nothing else, this shows that Saturn is visible with the naked eye. Quite often it's rather faint.
        Thanks, Dave. I read your message earlier and when I walked out the door there they all were over to the west, and I could pass the info on to Mrs C with what sounded like authority. She was impressed.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

The pattern in the sky earlier was obvious up here, but tomorrow it won't be. For observations like this Stellarium is your friend - http://stellarium.org/en_GB/ - and it's also possible sometimes to anticipate things before noticing them - though that's not what happened to me tonight.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Shame about the horizon to horizon 100% cloud then up here..................

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
              Shame about the horizon to horizon 100% cloud then up here..................
              In December the planet will seem to coalesce in the sky.

Watch out for 21st December - https://www.space.com/jupiter-saturn...njunction-2020

Comment

Working...
              X