• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Open letter to new BBC chair Richard Sharp

Forgive my plugging another such, but it is so vital to keep the pressure up....

I just signed the open letter calling on new BBC chair Richard Sharp to commit to defending the BBC now and into the future. Will you add your name too?
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Signed, but I don't think the BBC has ever been free from political interference - it is certainly not independent.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
      Signed, but I don't think the BBC has ever been free from political interference - it is certainly not independent.
      It is under constant pressure from many political and cultural forces.....but - crucially - it remains free of ideology; if you've seen Emily Maitlis' interviews with various USA politicians and commentators recently, and the devastating reports from the NHS frontline, you can only admire the determined persistence to uphold those values.

Why do you think Cabinet Ministers always refuse Newsnight any interviews?

Now Gods and FoR3, Stand up for Newsnight!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Newsnight may for all I know be the exception that proves the rule. I don't think there is, or has ever been, impartiality in BBC news and other coverage, and am therefore drawing a line at signing this particular petition, since the record overwhelmingly demonstrates evasiveness on the part of official spokespersons at all times, whenever it comes to raising this issue in "the public domain"; and I strongly think it is vital to unmask BBC imbalance and tacit right wing bias whenever possible.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Jayne, I’m not sure why you felt the need to start another thread, having done one on the same topic two days ago - yes you feel strongly about it but could you not just have added to the last one - the heading of this one I was expecting to read an open letter personally which you wished others of the forum to support!

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            It is under constant pressure from many political and cultural forces.....but - crucially - it remains free of ideology; if you've seen Emily Maitlis' interviews with various USA politicians and commentators recently, and the devastating reports from the NHS frontline, you can only admire the determined persistence to uphold those values.

Why do you think Cabinet Ministers always refuse Newsnight any interviews?

Now Gods and FoR3, Stand up for Newsnight!
            Just imagine the howls of outrage in the mainstream media if the British Medical Journal had published a study that showed that the polic...

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              Jayne, I’m not sure why you felt the need to start another thread, having done one on the same topic two days ago - yes you feel strongly about it but could you not just have added to the last one - the heading of this one I was expecting to read an open letter personally which you wished others of the forum to support!
              The open letter should be there on the 38 degrees page - this is another new campaign,addressed to Richard Sharp. (The earlier one was to Oliver Dowden....)

Comme ça.....

"Petition text
              We want you to do all in your power to ensure the BBC:
              Is protected as an independent source of news and information, free from political interference.
              Is well-resourced, publicly funded and accessible for all, not hidden behind a subscription service.
              Delivers the same - or a greater - level of information, entertainment and news as it does now - locally, nationally and globally".

Forgive me, I am very worried about what is happening in UK now, and the disturbing parallels with the USA - now descending into chaos....
              Never stop fighting till the fight is done....
              Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 12-01-21, 17:46.

Comment

Working...
              X