Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobel Prize winners in Literature

So who do you think ought to be awarded a Nobel Prize?

I'd suggest Cormac McCarthy and JM Coetzee.

I imagine Rushdie is in line.

Comment

I’ll second McCarthy.

He has two linked books coming out this autumn (The Passenger and Stellar Maris). Blood Meridian is the most fearsome and savage book I’ve read and reread many times, and still never fathomed it’s depths. It is rendered in the most beautiful, terse and biblically poetical language. Judge Holden - what an extraordinary and terrifying creation.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post

I'd suggest Cormac McCarthy and JM Coetzee.
        First, the Nobel Literature committee already took care of J.M. Coetzee back in 2003. That aside, among English-language authors, I can easily imagine Rushdie in the running, especially now after the physical attack on him this year. I could also imagine Margaret Atwood or Joyce Carol Oates as possibilities.

For authors in languages besides English, there, I'm stumped. Unless, that is, there's a noteworthy Ukrainian author out there who might be Nobel Prize material....

Comment

I know only one novel by Coetzee but it's a favourite of mine, 'In the Heart of the Country'.

There's a fine film of it with Trevor Howard and Jane Birkin, and unlikely pairing of actors that worked well.

Comment

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post
            I’ll second McCarthy.

... Blood Meridian is the most fearsome and savage book I’ve read and reread many times, and still never fathomed it’s depths. It is rendered in the most beautiful, terse and biblically poetical language. Judge Holden - what an extraordinary and terrifying creation.
            I've only read it once, but I agree with your summation. Quite incredible! It's Harold Bloom's favourite modern novel. It was on offer for 99p in Kindle daily deal a few weeks ago and I didn't buy it... still kicking myself... It's certainly due a re-read. "The Road" was more straightfoward, but I though it was a terrific "end of days" novel.

Comment

I'd suggest ... JM Coetzee.
              Another one? Don't give him another one! After Slow Man (2005) and The Schooldays of Jesus (2016) I don't think they're good for him. (I gave up on both...) I thought Life & Times of Michael K and Youth were tremendous, maybe enough to justify the prize. I also found the other two parts of the autobiography rather good, and Disgrace not bad. Of the "post prize" novels I've attempted I only found "The Childhood of Jesus" bearable. As with Cormac, a book of his tends to pop up every few months in Kindle daily deal and I'd certainly chance any of the works I haven't read... at 99p it's worth risking another Slow Man...

Comment

Ian McEwan? I find him consistently good - although doesn't reach the heights of Coetzee or Ishiguro.

Martin Amis? Another variable one, who sometimes hits home runs. As with Coetzee, I think he does autobiography rather well. I liked London Fields,
                Time's Arrow, Lionel Asbo, Experience, Inside Story... Didn't like the Pregnant Widow or Money.

But that's quite a lot of likes. Maybe give it to Martin?

Comment

Cotzee's 'Waiting for the Barbarans' - a judicious statement for our times, but brilliantly written.
                  And McCarthy's 'The Road' Yes.

Comment

Cotzee's 'Waiting for the Barbarans' - a judicious statement for our times, but brilliantly written.
                    And McCarthy's 'The Road' Yes.
                    I don't know what the rules are that get someone a nobel prize for literature but, as well as McCarthy and among English language writers, I would plump for Annie Proulx. I thought 'The Shipping News' was brilliant; likewise 'Accordion Crimes'. She has written such terrific short stories with settings in, for example, Vermont and Wyoming. I have never been disappointed by anything I've read of hers.

Comment

Will Self.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                        Will Self.
                        Along with his sometime mate Iain Sinclair, whom I've taken to this last year, although I'm not aware of any writing activity at present. By the way I see Ian's part of a roster of input to Free Thinking this coming Thursday on Radio 4, on the novels of John Cowper Powys, which I'll link to on another thread later on this week.

Comment

[QUOTE=DracoM;894369]Cotzee's 'Waiting for the Barbarans' - a judicious statement for our times,

Are we 'waiting' for the Barbarians? I thoiught they'd been in the Cabinet for some years...

Comment

Working...
                          X