Edinburgh’s Art House cinema has gone into receivership!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Edinburgh’s Art House cinema has gone into receivership!

I’ve been shocked to hear that Edinburgh’s Filmhouse Cinema and its parent organisation, The Centre for the Moving Image, have called in the receivers and have ceased trading as from today. This is a huge shock to we film lovers as the cinema was just getting back on its feet following the pandemic. (Another cinema in Aberdeen has also closed).

It seems that audiences have not returned in sufficient numbers to make the organisations viable. This is compounded by a new ‘Everyman Cinema’ opening in the new shopping centre just off Princes Street. The Filmhouse had anticipated its energy costs as rising by £220,000 for the next year alone.

Goodness knows how many films I must have seen at that cinema since it first opened in 1979. A tremendous loss to cultural life. This also raises the question, what arts organisation will be next?!
    Last edited by pastoralguy; 06-10-22, 18:02.
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Sorry to hear this. We have visited Edinburgh only once - a long weekend in 2018. But one evening was enjoyably spent there. There was a lovely cinephile ambience and the film, "Lucky", was memorable. Harry Dean Stanton as a 90-year-old in I think his last role.

Comment

Working...
    X