X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

Paul Venn

Does anyone remember Paul Venn, a conductor and composer active in the Birmingham area in the 1970s and '80s? He ran his own orchestra and put on some ambitious concerts, some , sadly, too ambitious for the skill of his available musicians, though I felt that was better than not trying at all.

I recall especially a Schoenberg centenary concert with a very ambitious programme announced in advance, including the Wind Quintet op.26, which at the time taxed even the foremost professionals. It wasn't played, but they did manage The Book of the Hanging Gardens and the first Chamber Symphony, which went well. At another concert he conducted a symphony of his own, which I thought quite good.

A google search revealed quite a few Paul Venns, none of which was he; reinding me of how many Michael Jacksons there are said to be.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
    Does anyone remember Paul Venn, a conductor and composer active in the Birmingham area in the 1970s and '80s? He ran his own orchestra and put on some ambitious concerts, some , sadly, too ambitious for the skill of his available musicians, though I felt that was better than not trying at all.

I recall especially a Schoenberg centenary concert with a very ambitious programme announced in advance, including the Wind Quintet op.26, which at the time taxed even the foremost professionals. It wasn't played, but they did manage The Book of the Hanging Gardens and the first Chamber Symphony, which went well. At another concert he conducted a symphony of his own, which I thought quite good.

A google search revealed quite a few Paul Venns, none of which was he; reinding me of how many Michael Jacksons there are said to be.
    I might have seen a diagram of him.

Comment

• smittims
      • Aug 2022

You're killing me.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
        You're killing me.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Googling - "Paul Venn" orchestra - brings up a few mentions, especially associated with Havergal Brian. Includes a none too glowing review from 1972 of the New Music Chamber Orchestra conducted by Paul Venn:

"I've never come across this group before and, judging from the ensemble playing, neither had too many of its constituent members."
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
          X