X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

mp3 file splitters

Does anyone have recommendations for good (preferably free) mp3 file splitters for trimming audio?

I used to have a good one which worked on Windows, but that was years ago. I'm looking for one which doesn't convert the audio and then re-export it.
    Audacity is quite good, but a bit slow, and generates large intermediate files which then have to be discarded.

Last requirement - Mac compatible, and maybe fully cross compatible with Linux and PC as well.
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    Does anyone have recommendations for good (preferably free) mp3 file splitters for trimming audio?

I used to have a good one which worked on Windows, but that was years ago. I'm looking for one which doesn't convert the audio and then re-export it.
    Audacity is quite good, but a bit slow, and generates large intermediate files which then have to be discarded.

Last requirement - Mac compatible, and maybe fully cross compatible with Linux and PC as well.
    Without a doubt, mp3directcut, which can not only non-destructively edit mp3 but, with the addition of freely available accessory files, can also edit mp2 (as used by DAB) and aac (the CODEC used by BBC Sounds). I see it is available for both WIdows and Android. I have only used the Windows version.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Without a doubt, mp3directcut, which can not only non-destructively edit mp3 but, with the addition of freely available accessory files, can also edit mp2 (as used by DAB) and aac (the CODEC used by BBC Sounds). I see it is available for both WIdows and Android. I have only used the Windows version.
      Unfortunately that tool seems to be Windows and Android only. I am neither a WIdow nor an Android!

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Unfortunately that tool seems to be Windows and Android only. I am neither a WIdow nor an Android!
        Yet again, Apple products fail to perform as one might hope.

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

To which Apple may well reply that they behave exactly the way they want them to: it's the pesky app creators etc who don't provide iOS versions (though one does wonder how easy it is to collaborate with Apple!).

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

But on the whole they far outperform Windows PCs. In fairness it depends what kind of software, hardware and environment one is operating in.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              To which Apple may well reply that they behave exactly the way they want them to: it's the pesky app creators etc who don't provide iOS versions (though one does wonder how easy it is to collaborate with Apple!).
              I think Apple can be a pain to work with, for some developers, and some have given up because of barriers put up by Apple. Re iOS - terrible system - trying to turn "decent" computer systems on their heads! However iOS is better than Android.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

But on the whole they far outperform Windows PCs. In fairness it depends what kind of software, hardware and environment one is operating in.
                That's the story they like to tell. They are better protected against malware but way too insular where third-party software and peripherals are concerned. I see that https://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/index...gaAl1OEALw_wcB claims to be an mp3directcut substitute for Macs but very much doubt it actually edits mp3s, rather than resolving them to PCM then re-encoding the edits. See, also, https://wavepad.en.softonic.com/mac
                Last edited by Bryn; 21-11-22, 14:23. Reason: Update

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  …and also they don’t care if their products are not very compatible with anything else because they make more money that way!

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                    • Mar 2007

If you're not frightened of command line tools, you might try ffmpeg. I think it's available for MacOS.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

That's the story they like to tell. They are better protected against malware but way too insular where third-party software and peripherals are concerned. I see that https://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/index...gaAl1OEALw_wcB claims to be an mp3directcut substitute for Macs but very much doubt it actually edits mp3s, rather than resolving them to PCM then re-encoding the edits. See, also, https://wavepad.en.softonic.com/mac
                      I have already mentioned that Apple can be a pain - and this relatively simple area does seem to be one which could be otherwise. However I strongly believe that I saved many months of effort by mostly having machines and software which worked, compared with the very painful experiences I used to have with Windows.

There have been some nonsenses - such as preventing me from using software I'd already loaded and had working because of unsubstantiated beliefs that instrument libraries which hadn't been validated by Apple were a threat. Having software stop working because of an update which enforces stronger, but possibly unnecessary extra precautions, is just not great business, but Apple doesn't really care as it makes such a lot of money from phones etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X