Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classical CD shops in Vienna

Apologies if this is in the wrong sub-forum, but I would be grateful for any suggestions for where best to buy classical CDs in Vienna (currently on a short city break there)? Bargains / 2nd hand sources particularly appreciated!

There used to be a really good one in the State Opera on the right hand side of the building as you look at it but I've not been there for several years and I remember reading somewhere that, like most other places, CD shops have mostly disappeared in Vienna, even the famous ones.

While you're in Vienna I can recommend a visit to the Vienna Philharmonic Museum situated in the Haus der Musik on Seilerstätte 30. They had CDs in the shop there as well when I went but who knows nowadays? I think that the excellent Gramola shop in Graben has also gone but worth checking as I may be wrong.

Good luck with finding anything, but Vienna is no better than London now from what I've heard.
    Last edited by Petrushka; 02-05-23, 16:23.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

It’s been a long time but I think I remember a large one on the Kärntnerstrasse on the left as you walk from the Opera end towards the Stephansdom. Generally I find there’s too much else to do and see in Vienna to bother with CD shopping though!

Comment

This might help, though I've no idea how up to date it is:

Vienna is a city of music - something which holds an integral part of Austrian and Viennese culture. They're not limited to classical here, and you can ...

Comment

There's a Gramola shop near Peterskirche and there's a CD shop attached to the Haus der Music museum

Comment

Thanks for the replies - I will keep an eye open for the various suggestions as my wife window shops!

Comment

Just returned, so I can update: Gramola (on Graben) and the shop next to Haus der Musik are still there. The Staatsoper shop has gone, as has the one on Kärntnerstrasse (which seems to have been replaced by Cannabis World - from CDs to seedy...)

Comment

Working...
              X