Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test Cricket 2023 & Onwards

A new domestic Test season commences at the beginning of June at Lord’s with a single match against Ireland, followed by a five match Ashes series, all done and dusted by the end of July so that the ECB’s vanity project can occupy most of August. One fears for the well being and fitness of the players participating in such a ridiculously compressed season. Expect large squads to be named.

England’s previous encounter with Ireland at Lord’s in 2019 was memorable for several reasons. The first day was on one of the (then) record breaking hot days. Many were late arriving due to railway lines buckling in the heat. England were all out for 85 before lunch, and despite a more convincing display by Ireland, England were batting again by the close of play. The match was also the debut of Jack Leach, whose principal contribution in England’s second innings was to the batting rather than bowling (he went on to accompany Stokes in the match against Australia at Headingley in one of the greatest innings in the history of the game, just by staying there). Broad and Woakes tore through Ireland’s second batting line-up on the third day to secure the victory before lunch. Despite its brevity, it was an enjoyable match, firing a warning shot across England’s bows.

That shot was ignored until England replaced Root as captain, and with it changed the game of Test cricket with the fresh approach of Stokes/McCullum/Key in the key positions. Thus far, no opponent has overcome the novel challenges that that new thinking has presented, but if any side will provide a severe test of it, it’s Australia. Pat Cummins has said Australia will play the way they always do, but that didn’t work when India, S Africa and Pakistan did the same. It’s probably the last time we shall see Warner (no loss there as far as I’m concerned), and without Archer (probably) one wonders how the threat posed by Smith will be countered. Much highly competitive cricket to relish here. Sensibly the first match in the series will be at Edgbaston, whose crowd in the Hollis stand will give the visitors an enthusiastic welcome to these shores.

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post
    A new domestic Test season commences at the beginning of June at Lord’s with a single match against Ireland, followed by a five match Ashes series, all done and dusted by the end of July so that the ECB’s vanity project can occupy most of August. One fears for the well being and fitness of the players participating in such a ridiculously compressed season. Expect large squads to be named.

England’s previous encounter with Ireland at Lord’s in 2019 was memorable for several reasons. The first day was on one of the (then) record breaking hot days. Many were late arriving due to railway lines buckling in the heat. England were all out for 85 before lunch, and despite a more convincing display by Ireland, England were batting again by the close of play. The match was also the debut of Jack Leach, whose principal contribution in England’s second innings was to the batting rather than bowling (he went on to accompany Stokes in the match against Australia at Headingley in one of the greatest innings in the history of the game, just by staying there). Broad and Woakes tore through Ireland’s second batting line-up on the third day to secure the victory before lunch. Despite its brevity, it was an enjoyable match, firing a warning shot across England’s bows.

That shot was ignored until England replaced Root as captain, and with it changed the game of Test cricket with the fresh approach of Stokes/McCullum/Key in the key positions. Thus far, no opponent has overcome the novel challenges that that new thinking has presented, but if any side will provide a severe test of it, it’s Australia. Pat Cummins has said Australia will play the way they always do, but that didn’t work when India, S Africa and Pakistan did the same. It’s probably the last time we shall see Warner (no loss there as far as I’m concerned), and without Archer (probably) one wonders how the threat posed by Smith will be countered. Much highly competitive cricket to relish here. Sensibly the first match in the series will be at Edgbaston, whose crowd in the Hollis stand will give the visitors an enthusiastic welcome to these shores.
    Excellent summary Belgrove …… what do you think our team will be for the first Ashes test ….. ????

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
      …… what do you think our team will be for the first Ashes test ….. ????
      The Ashes start mid-June, so some of the current crop of bowler injuries (Archer, Stone and worryingly Anderson) may be fit by then, but the schedule will be punishing for the bowlers whatever their fitness. I expect Broad and Robinson will be there in the first match, along with Anderson hopefully, Leach? Fixed points will be Stokes, Root and Foakes (provided he doesn’t slip up on another bar of soap in the showers), which means Bairstow will be there as batsman. Why not open with him? Unless Crawley comes a cropper in the intervening county matches, he’s probably done enough for the selectors to indulge him yet another time (heaven knows why). For the batting line-up I’d go broadly with the squad used in Pakistan, with all its swish and swagger. I wonder what instructions ground-staff have been given regarding pitch preparation, which will naturally affect selections. Also dodgy Duke balls. There have been more problems with ball replacements in the matches I’ve seen this season. Be a shame to use Kookaburras, to which the Australian’s are accustomed and which are less susceptible to the magic that Anderson can create. There are enough decent performances in the first class matches so far for the selectors to be spoilt for choice, which is just as well since they’ll need a big squad. But what do I know?

Comment

Josh Tongue (Worcs.) to make his debut against Ireland. I suspect he has been given this chance because of England's shortage of proven pacemen. Broad and Potts to complete the pace roster. Wood is available but they will save him for the Australians (although they will surely be sweating on how long he will last). Robinson not fit (as well as Archer and Stone). We don't know if Stokes will be able to bowl. Foakes dropped in favour of Bairstow: everyone says how unlucky he is and will surely be back soon. Crawley getting yet another go in the last-chance saloon as you predicted.

Comment

Non-selection of Foakes is IMO the single biggest mistake so far. We must be building for future, not mumble and stumble in a chequered past - eg. non-stop Elgar symphonies, Anderson etc etc
          Last edited by DracoM; 31-05-23, 11:26.

Comment

The only benefit of the compressed series is it shortens the number of month long NOW TV SPORTS subs needed to watch it.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
              Non-selection of Foakes is IMO the single biggest mistake so far. We must be building for future, not mumble and stumble in a chequered past - eg. non-stop Elgar symphonies, Anderson etc etc
              Yes, with a much better than usual start, and with Pope, Root, Stokes, Brook, and Bairstow batting, the case for anyone but the best wicketkeeper (himself a useful batsman) seems tenuous.

Anything could happen, but less than 600 would, for me, be disappointing.

Comment

Ireland would have loved to win the toss today at Lords but suffered from early movement (and perhaps a lack of experience of Test cricket bowling and the Lord's slope). A spirited fightback but cut short by Broad, Potts and Jack Leach who took three wickets on the first day. Tongue looked handy but had to take the short-pitched role which reduced his chances of taking a wicket: hopefully this will be rectified in the second innings. Ireland will probably be unhappy with some of the dismissals and also with a certain lack of penetration (and bad luck against Crawley). Duckett and Pope looked in good form, Crawley a mixture as usual. Not sure today's slightly streaky fifty showed much more evidence in Crawley's favour. England well placed, only 20 runs behind and nine wickets in hand tomorrow morning.

To fit in Bairstow as a batsman only you would have to drop Crawley (which I could live with) and find a suitable opening partner happy to bat out of position. The latter is more difficult and perhaps explain why Foakes is, again, unlucky. I always prefer to go with the better keeper as dropping someone who makes a big century is hard to make up with the bat However, I am probably far too old-fashioned in my thinking for current test cricket.

Comment

Crawley's slightly streaky 50 deserves a bit of an asterisk - and not the one that means Not Out - in the sense that he was lucky once but should have learnt from it, and instead got lucky twice again in similar circumstances. His dismissal wasn't exactly unlucky either. He'll last five minutes against the Aussies.

Comment

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
                    Crawley's slightly streaky 50 deserves a bit of an asterisk - and not the one that means Not Out - in the sense that he was lucky once but should have learnt from it, and instead got lucky twice again in similar circumstances. His dismissal wasn't exactly unlucky either. He'll last five minutes against the Aussies.
                    I saw this comment about his performance yesterday on another forum:

"He's used all his 9 lives before the first ball of The Ashes.

I'm always amazed how he can go from looking like Gower to looking like Tufnell within the space of an over."
                    "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                    Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                      I saw this comment about his performance yesterday on another forum:

"He's used all his 9 lives before the first ball of The Ashes.

I'm always amazed how he can go from looking like Gower to looking like Tufnell within the space of an over."
                      And the way things are going he won't get another innings in the current test.

Comment

Well, all I can say as I watch Eng v Ireland is that the Oz Ashes team must be hugging themselves with delighted anticipation.
                        Eng's sloppy fielding, lazy bowling, Stokes limping, Anderson ageing, Root bowling Sunday afternoon trash.

Crikey.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                          Well, all I can say as I watch Eng v Ireland is that the Oz Ashes team must be hugging themselves with delighted anticipation.
                          Eng's sloppy fielding, lazy bowling, Stokes limping, Anderson ageing, Root bowling Sunday afternoon trash.

Crikey.
                          Indeed not good ……

Comment

And the BBC TMS team seem a lot less under-impressed about England's team performance than the visuals. I mean - apols in advance, but.........the Ireland side was opposition that a good county side on its A-game might well have beaten soundly, so.........
                            ....well, we shall see, but, ironically given the victory, I'm a lot less optimistic than I was at the start of the game over the Ashes!
                            Last edited by DracoM; 04-06-23, 11:53.

Comment

Stokes is crocked. The Aussies will be loving this. Bazball is done.

Comment

Working...
                              X