• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peterson?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Like André Previn (who has at least one, and used to conduct the band at the Oscars and wrote the Music for the Film of A Long Day's Journey into Night based on the play by ... hold on! Haven't I been here before? )
      Hold your horses just a goddam moment there boy! (a tribute to Deputy Dawg before some irritating member reports me again for foul language ) ... André Previn is correct but what's his connection with Oscar? "a Canadian one-time partner of an American knight" apparently .... got to it, fhg et al
      Last edited by Guest; 28-02-12, 20:32. Reason: trypos

Comment

Homolka

Comment

Peterson?
          Good man yourself, fhg! - Oscar Peterson it is!

A great Oscar Peterson Interview with Andre Previn where they discuss many things including art tatum. Also Oscar plays some tracks

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            Homolka
            Triffic stuff, mercs - Ol' Eyebrows loooong before Denis Healey - care to eleborate?

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              eleborate
              1924 German premiere of the play (can't tell you which part he played)

I could visit his grave, it's only a stonesthrow from here (I discover)
              Last edited by mercia; 28-02-12, 20:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                Is it Obie - Six Degrees of Separation?

I love this by the way - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdo-MxlIC4Q
                Sorry, Lat I missed this first time - quite close as you'll have seen

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                  1924 German premiere of the play (can't tell you which part he played)

I could visit his grave, it's only a stonesthrow from here (I discover)
                  Marvy, mercs!

Now just a separation? ... - think recent Oscars

Comment

Good man yourself, fhg! - Oscar Peterson it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55wYm8csHC4
                    I remember enjoying the Previn/Peterson conversation from when it was first shown back in the 70s and a friend gave me a DVD of the programme last year. I don't like Peterson's style these days as much as I used to (a few too many twiddles) but what a technique ... and what a stretch! I so envy his ability to do legato octave passages by "slurring" the fifth and fourth fingers of his left hand.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

I remember enjoying the Previn/Peterson conversation from when it was first shown back in the 70s and a friend gave me a DVD of the programme last year. I don't like Peterson's style these days as much as I used to (a few too many twiddles) but what a technique ... and what a stretch! I so envy his ability to do legato octave passages by "slurring" the fifth and fourth fingers of his left hand.
                      I admire AP's interviewing style too - ask a pertinent question, shut up & listen - make a related response - if things founder, move on

Comment

Marvy, mercs!

Now just a separation? ... - think recent Oscars
                        OK I get the feeling that this is being avoided, perhaps deliberately

The answer is The Separation, an Iranian film that won the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar for 2012.

I think it's a toss-up twixt fhg and mercs with an honourable mention to Anna for starting us off

Whoever's ready with a P, get going!

Comment

think recent Oscars
                          Hmmm. We had "Oscar" for the last "O".

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                            Oscars happened this week. Cannot see connection to anything else? I'll give up. Welsh tv shortly has fascinating documentary about smallpox outbreak in S. Wales.
                            I assume this is intended to complement 'The Indian Doctor' on BBC 1 (2.15-3.00 p.m. Monday to Friday this week). I've recorded the documentary and will watch it once I've seen the final episode.

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                              Hmmm. We had "Oscar" for the last "O".
                              Point of order, ladies and gentlemen. I can't keep up with the hectic pace here! Is anyone keeping a glossary of words used?

When I use Advanced Search to find a particular word, it takes me to the general thread, but I cannot find exactly where the word has been used. Does anyone know how to find exactly in the thread where the word is? We have over 15000 replies here
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                                Point of order, ladies and gentlemen. I can't keep up with the hectic pace here! Is anyone keeping a glossary of words used?

When I use Advanced Search to find a particular word, it takes me to the general thread, but I cannot find exactly where the word has been used. Does anyone know how to find exactly in the thread where the word is? We have over 15000 replies here
                                Rubbers was the archivist and kept a list, but it's fallen into desuétude... I personally don't care if a word's been used before, even recently. As long as the clues are original, does it matter?
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X